First Impressions And Thoughts About 'The Man'

Started by SteveB, July 04, 2009, 09:23:40 AM

Saijinn Maas

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on July 06, 2009, 04:16:03 PMI'm going to release my album soon, but without any marketing or promotion, sadly, I fear it will rot in cyberspace.  Oh, well, all we can do is try.

Have you heard of, or looked into, Tunecore?

It seems pretty legit. You pay a small yearly fee to "process" your albums/songs and they distribute it to every online retailer they have at the time you sign up. This includes Itunes, Napster, Real Player, among others.

Supposedly, they guarantee placement on announcements and emails to all members of those services with direct linking to your music.

Wasn't too sure about it when I first read about it, but apparently Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails) uses them now after his falling out with the record companies.

I haven't had the time to look into it too much further yet. I figured I'd have time while I am working on more songs.

Ferryman

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on July 06, 2009, 04:23:06 PMCan't wait to hear your album, Nigel! ;D

Thanks!!! The rate it's going, you'll be waiting a while! Just working on that second song for "The King In Yellow" concept album. Got a way to go with that yet....

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: Saijinn Maas on July 06, 2009, 04:29:18 PMHave you heard of, or looked into, Tunecore?

It seems pretty legit. You pay a small yearly fee to "process" your albums/songs and they distribute it to every online retailer they have at the time you sign up. This includes Itunes, Napster, Real Player, among others.

Supposedly, they guarantee placement on announcements and emails to all members of those services with direct linking to your music.

Wasn't too sure about it when I first read about it, but apparently Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails) uses them know after his falling out with the record companies.

I haven't had the time to look into it too much further yet. I figured I;d have time while I am working on more songs.

Actually, yes, Saijinn, that is the method I am going to use to distribute to iTunes and other digital sites.  But the service is mainly just digital distribution, not so much marketing/promotion.  However, you're right, they do offer some marketing services such as the ones you mentioned (these cost extra of course), and I might try those!  Thanks for the post! ;D
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Greeny

Might have a look at the Tunecore thing myself. Thanks for the heads-up!

Flash Harry

I was going to say 'Ask Tim about tunecore. I think that he has some views'.

But clearly he hasn't

It may be run by 'The Man'
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Greeny

Quote from: Flash Harry on July 07, 2009, 05:18:38 AMI was going to say 'Ask Tim about tunecore. I think that he has some views'.

But clearly he hasn't

It may be run by 'The Man'

Sellaband is the one (I think) to steer clear of. I didn't know about this one. But I do now, lol.

Bosko Schwartz

Saijinn is right -- I'm pretty sure TuneCore is legit!  How well they market is another question, but they can easily get your music to most digital sites for pretty cheap. ;D

Greeny

Just had a look at Tunecore - looks good. Nothing ventured, nothing gained... I have 5 albums to put on there!

We should get Jemima's Kite on there too...

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: Greeny on July 07, 2009, 09:33:10 AMJust had a look at Tunecore - looks good. Nothing ventured, nothing gained... I have 5 albums to put on there!

We should get Jemima's Kite on there too...

I will be happily purchasing every single one of them.

SteveB

I'd like to thank those Posters who made comments on my song in the BR900 thread, as others have said in relation to their own uploaded work, these comments (Of any hue), are uplifting as well as helping in better-song construction.

I've decided to put this post here because it may well be seen by more people than burying it at the bottom of a song thread. The comments made have actually made me feel a little sad, in the sense that there must have been numberless Artists'/Performers' over the years who have lived miserable lives becuase they didn't have the confidence to put their work to the test, and had nowhere to turn for help and advice. And yet, here now on this Forum, you have people asking the very, very basic questions about recording, all the way upto and including people producing faultless tracks for concept albums. And ALL seemingly giving their time to each other without precondition. It could almost be the ethos of (er, I'll type the next word in lower-case in case Our United States' Members smell a Red!), communism. I'm sure the Hippies of the 1960s would applaud our get-together.  ;D

Now, I have to admit to an error of judgement. I now see that those outside the Micro-BR MP3 thread are not getting a fair-share in the constructive-criticism department, and that as the Forum grows inexorably, and presuming the ratio of Micro-to-the-rest-of-the-BRs remains as skewed as it is now, then it is only fair that this issue is addressed. And this is as much for the benefit of the Micro Owners as anyone, who really are missing out on some fantastic offerings from the bigger recorders.
A suggestion I would put up for discussion is: What about combining all the other MP3 boards together, except the Micro-BR? Then at least the other recorders wouldn't be swamped by the sheer number of BR MP3 postings.

Your views:
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon