New Wilco Album, WILCO (The Album) is finally out!!!!!

Started by Bluesberry, July 03, 2009, 03:30:07 PM

Bluesberry

Any Wilco fans out there!!! I just downloaded the new album from ITunes. I have been anticipating this one for sure.  I love Wilco, they are the new version of The Band IMO, The Band for the modern times.  I am going to listen all weekend. 

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oldrottenhead

just saw the dvd ashes of american flags , awesome
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Davo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97IT0-EDTtw

I dig this song.  Can anyone ID the non-jazzmaster guitar and the bass?

To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Bluesberry

Now that is a great song Davo.  That is from their last record "Sky Blue Sky", great stuff for sure.

As for the new album, Wilco (the album), it is brilliant.  I have listened a few times now, and each time I like it more and more.  Production-wise it is stunning.  It is one of the best sounding albums I have heard in a while, everything is crystal clear.  It is a perfect example of how to record/mix/master an album IMO.  The songs are all strong and beautiful.  I love it.  Glad to have Wilco around making music like this in 2009, with so much shit out there nowadays.  Well done Wilco, well done Jeff Tweedy.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny

What a cracking track that is. I don't own any Wilco albums, but I'd buy one on the strength of this song alone. Great stuff. Some real talent going down there...

64Guitars

Quote from: Davo on July 05, 2009, 03:30:53 AMI dig this song.  Can anyone ID the non-jazzmaster guitar and the bass?

Jeff Tweedy's playing a sixties Gibson Barney Kessel.

John Stirratt is playing a Lakland Bob Glaub Signature bass with a Hammon Dark Star pickup.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

guitarron

Quote from: Davo on July 05, 2009, 03:30:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97IT0-EDTtw

I dig this song.  Can anyone ID the non-jazzmaster guitar and the bass?

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 06, 2009, 11:46:17 AM
Quote from: Davo on July 05, 2009, 03:30:53 AMI dig this song.  Can anyone ID the non-jazzmaster guitar and the bass?

Jeff Tweedy's playing a sixties Gibson Barney Kessel.

John Stirratt is playing a Lakland Bob Glaub Signature bass with a Hammon Dark Star pickup.

are you sure that's not a gibson johnny a?

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

Quote from: guitarron on July 06, 2009, 11:56:40 AMare you sure that's not a gibson johnny a?

The Johnny A has distinctive f-holes and it lacks the toggle switch on the lower horn.

When asked "What, in your opinion, is the coolest instrument in the world?" in this Rolling Stone interview, Tweedy replied:

"I have it. I have a Gibson Barney Kessel guitar. It has two cutaways that look like devil horns, but it's this huge hollow-body from the Sixties. My wife bought it for me for Christmas. It's cool."

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Bluesberry

The reviews for this great album are starting to pour out into Cyberspace.  I agree totally with this review below from C.Jones.  It is a stunner folks.

QuoteBBC Review
This is still unmistakably a Wilco album.

Chris Jones 2009-06-22

For a band that could easily lay claim to the title 'the best live act in the world', Wilco's eighth album is a remarkably studio-bound confection. But fear not, this is by no means an overwrought, over-involved piece of sonic navel-gazing. After years bouncing between country rock, experimental noise and visceral rock pyrotechnics Wilco (The Album) sees the band balance Jeff Tweedy's writer-at-his-peak poise with some of their most charming pop rock ensemble playing.

By Tweedy's own admission, the album saw the six-piece using their collective (and not inconsiderable) chops to achieve something a little more 'crafted'. Partly recorded in Neil Finn's Auckland studio, it also seems that an element of the Kiwi star's Beatle-aping tendencies have rubbed off.

Second track Deep Down, with its ocean floor metaphors and sound effects could almost be their Yellow Submarine; while the most poptastic song on offer, You Never Know, not only features some of their sweetest close harmonies but also cheekily references George Harrison's My Sweet Lord.

But this is still unmistakably a Wilco album. Tweedy's voice beautifully covers all bases from intimate despair (especially when paired with Feist on the aching You And I) to breast-beating intensity. And for fans of the wilder, avant garde Wilco there's still Nels Cline's paint-stripping attack on the ascending maelstrom of Black Bull Nova; supposedly told from the point of view of a murderer.

It's a paradoxical mixture of warm and dour. Two songs seem to chronicle fraying relationships (You And I and One Wing). But the country drift of Solitaire details a return from the existential wilderness, possibly due to Tweedy's victory over addiction. He wants us to know how much he cares. And as with Sky Blue Sky's On And On And On, everything is sealed with a life-affirming ode to the transience of life, Everlasting.

So while Jeff may sing ''I don't care anymore'' the truth is obviously otherwise. As Wilco (The Album) flutters away on the birdcall beauty of Cline's loops, you feel like you've shared a special moment: one that you can always return to. As they say on the opening Wilco The Song, ''Wilco will love you." Best live band? How about plain old best band in the world right now?

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny