What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Started by SteveB, July 03, 2009, 02:53:03 AM

I'm reading " The Stand" for about the fourth time and I'm also reading " BR900cd" manual, mostly very sneakily at work. Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

Ted

Quote from: Willie Wendon on April 17, 2010, 04:32:49 PMI'm reading " The Stand" for about the fourth time

Really?  I've never read any Stephen King novels, and always figured that If I were to, I'd read The Stand.  But four times? It must be more interesting than I ever imagined.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Hi Ted, I tend to read all books at least twice, it's amazing how much you can miss on a single read. The Hobbit is another that had multiple reads and I still find stuff that I've missed. I could be a bit dull I suppose.  ;D  Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

SteveB

I resisted Stephen King for most of my adult life, concluding that I had enough horror in my life already!!  :o

But a work colleague (female), suggested reading Different Seasons, which was 4 novellas in one book. Good Lord, what a revelation! 2 of the stories have been made into films: Stand By Me, and The Shawshank Redemption. (The other two may have also for all that I'm aware), and I've still got a couple of other Kingies to read (which I will). I haven't attempted any of His doorstoppers (900 pages + etc), but certainly those shorter stories are well worth reading.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Ted

Quote from: SteveB on April 18, 2010, 09:35:00 AMI haven't attempted any of His doorstoppers (900 pages + etc), but certainly those shorter stories are well worth reading.

I remember one short story by King that I read that I really liked.  It was about a traveling salesman who collected and analyzed bathroom graffiti.

Quote from: http://www.freeonlineresearchpapers.com/stephen-king-book-reviewStephen King’s “All That You Love Will Be Carried Away"

Stephen King’s “All That You Love Will Be Carried Away” is about a frozen food salesman Alfie Zimmer, who has to decide to either change his life and write a book or end his life by his own hand. He wants to write about his collection of sayings he has written down during his traveling.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

chapperz66

I went through a phase of being a real King fan and have read most of his books.  I think that  the Stand is one of his best and have read it at least twice. 

Mind you, I have to say that he has written some rubbish as well.  There was one "short" story I read about strange goings-on in Muswell Hill - or was it Crouch End - in London.  I tend to think he's better when he sticks to writing about Maine.

Blooby

I always liked King page to page but thought he was pretty hit or miss with how he ended books.  Some of his plots are pretty silly as well, but I really dug The Stand (up until its endless denouement). I think I read that one at least three times. 

I'm reading No Angel: My Harrowing Undercover Journey to the Inner Circle of the Hells Angels.  Can't say why I picked it up, but I must say it's interesting.  Don't know how the undercover guys do it.

Blooby

peterp

Just got a copy of "The Black Strat" by Phil Taylor

Starting off not a bad read and the pics from the 60's & 70's are great!

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

SteveB

PeterP - May have to invest in that little publication myself. ^^^^.  :)

I've just read this below. The history of the World's greatest painting, which was basically unsurpassed for 500 years until the invention of modern photography. And when you think that this 3 foot piece of wood & oil travelled from Bruges, Belgium, to Spain, twice (Once via the notorious Bay of Biscay), was stuck in a lavatory for many years, got caught up in war and revolution, crossed the English Channel to end up in London, it makes you ask questions about destiny. Anyway, a fascinating read, whose text was completed by the Author's husband after Carola Hicks died of cancer just before the book's completion. Well worth a read.

1033473.jpg
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

madrab

Mark Pendergast 2000, The Ambient Century; from Mahler to Moby- the evolution of sound in the electronic age.

I am reading it here and there. It's thick and you can pretty much start anywhere. Recommended.