What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Started by SteveB, July 03, 2009, 02:53:03 AM

T.C. Elliott

Quote from: Ted on June 05, 2023, 12:06:10 AMI'm reading Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. It's full of vignettes of black experience in mid-20th century America. Some of these impressions and images may work themselves into a song.

It's on my to read list but likely not in the near future. Another book that I found fascinating was "The Marrow of Tradition" by Charles Chestnutt from 1901. It's a fictional account of the Wilmington Massacre. It should be a classic but I think it's mostly overlooked these days.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

chrisnickey64

The Nixon-Gleason UFO Encounter......facinating read esp if true
recorder
Korg D1600mkII
www.goodtimeshow.com

T.C. Elliott

Red Planet - Heinlein
It's an interesting bit of science fiction first published in 1949 (I think.)
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Blooby

I am re-reading Robert B. Parker's Spenser series. It is perfect for the mindless escape needed these days.

Blooby

WarpCanada

Just read Almost Human, a non-fiction book about human evolution and the discovery of the 200-400k year old cave of bones in Africa that has lead to the publication/description of a new pre-human hominin species, H. Naledi.

Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

Mike_S

Currently reading this... Ray Bradbury Stories Vol 1. It's gonna take ages as it's massive and I am a slow reader and normally only read a few pages a day to switch off. But it's excellent. All short stories and all dark (so far). Some sci-fi and some plain dark and spooky. Just finished one that blew me away called Kalediscope, just damn cool writing.

[imglink]
IMG_6766.jpeg
[/imglink]
recorder
iPad GarageBand

T.C. Elliott

Just ordered Rick Rubin's book "The Creative Act" and Mary Gauthier's book, "Saved By A Song." Looking forward to both.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Ted

I'm still reading "Carey: Genesis of the Song" by Cary Raditz, one time muse to Joni Mitchell.

This must be the most sex-filled book I've ever read. I've never read any erotica or romance – I've never been interested. Fans of these genres might find this book tame, I wouldn't know. I don't want to feel like a prude, but every time sex comes along in this book I feel like I'm in new literary territory (for me) and I'm not sure how to put myself in the right frame of mind.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Lurker

Fall of Giants by Ken Follett is a World War I epic. I've just learned that it is the first of a trilogy. Perhaps I'll read the others.

I'm on a hiatus from reading the Inspector Gamache series by Louise Penny.