What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Started by SteveB, July 03, 2009, 02:53:03 AM

Oldrottenhead

just finished the chinese sci-fi book the three body problem by Liu Cixin. is awesome and just discovered netflix are going to make it into a series. how they are going to manage that i dont know.
since finishing that i have been delving further into chinese sci-fi and it is all fascinating. i also recommend the anthology series "invisible planets". Thing is i am not really that much of a sci fi buff but this stuff is so well written. strange and wonderful.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Pine

Just finished STORYTELLER, a biography by Dave Grohl. 5 stars. Excellent book!
recorder
Boss BR-1200

SteveB

_0000-Now1.jpg

For those interested in or old enough to be able to recall the events, this weekend starts the 60th anniversary fortnight of Humanity's worst case of squeaky-bum time: The Cuban Missile Crisis of October 1962. Given what Mad-Vlad is doing in Ukraine at the moment, it's proof-positive that mankind can always be relied upon to keep dropping b*ll*cks until one day our luck runs out. I can only recall the events of 1962 vaguely, but do remember adults looking glum and saying words like 'Cuba', 'America', 'War', and the like. Fortunately, most of the dangerous period coincided with the 'Teacher's Rest' half-term school holidays, so most of the time was spent in the fields 'potato picking' along with a lot of other people of the village. I'm now reading this doorstopper to re-acquaint myself with what happened.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Ted

Quote from: SteveB on October 15, 2022, 03:48:37 AMthis weekend starts the 60th anniversary fortnight of Humanity's worst case of squeaky-bum time: The Cuban Missile Crisis of October 1962.

Steve: My latest song deals with the Cuban Missile Crisis. I shit my pants when it happened. Not because I was scared, but because I was 5 months old.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Mike_S

Currently reading Goodbye To All That by Robert Graves. Very good so far. An autobiography of a British First World War survivor, who after the nightmare of the war became disillusioned with life in England and emigrated to Spain
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ron D Bowes

I am reading "Thirteen Gun Salute" by Patrick O'Brien. It is book 13 in the Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin books which the film "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World" was based,

SteveB

ABBEY ROAD NW8 - David Hepworth. (2022).
Well that's my night sorted! Given our professed hobby around here, I guess this could become a well-thumbed item._0000-Now1a.jpg
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

thetworegs

Tree thieves crime and survival in the woods by Lyndsie Bourgon

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

SteveB

I've been reading Max Hastings's account of the Cuban Missile Crisis of October 1962 - see post above somewhere. And because I wanted to try and do a chapter a day - to coincide with the 13 days etc that the incident(s) happened, I interspersed Max with these two post-apocalypse novels. It all turned out quite well thankfully. I've read On The Beach before, and there's also a 1960s movie that's worth a view. The other has a wonderful premise: a jumbo-jumbo jet is flying between New York and London during the night when a nuclear war takes place and destroys, well, sort of everywhere...I won't spoil it anymore. Though I did read on a movie forum that they are filming the book at the moment with Morgan Freeman in there somewhere. Nice.001c.jpg
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

SteveB

So I've had Cubase since about version 7, but never done much more than open it and then close it. Looks much too complicated for this old brain. However, I have peaked into the 'Media Browser' and know that there's literally 000s of loopy type of things in there. Hmm. Well, given that the sunlit uplands of retirement are here I thought I'd try to ward-off dementia and have a shufty through this. Wish me luck!
_0000-Now1b.jpg
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR