What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Started by SteveB, July 03, 2009, 02:53:03 AM

Boognish

Quote from: Speed Demon on September 19, 2018, 05:32:08 AMFear Chump in The White House.

I'm listening to the audiobook.

I get the impression that a lot of Americans voted for a clueless idiot.

I live in Oklahoma, a conservative Republican state, and know lots of people, including family, that are Trump supporters - even still.
What is really scary is a lot of them will vote for him again if they get the chance.
Okay to cover.

Redler

I read a thriller by Paula Hawkins: The girl in the Train (Finnish edition). I'm a friend of thrillers and can recommend this book...

"Rachel catches the same commuter train every morning. She knows it will wait at the same signal each time, overlooking a row of back gardens. She's even started to feel like she knows the people who live in one of the houses. 'Jess and Jason', she calls them. Their life - as she sees it - is perfect. If only Rachel could be that happy. And then she sees something shocking. It's only a minute until the train moves on, but it's enough. Now everything's changed. Now Rachel has a chance to become a part of the lives she's only watched from afar. Now they'll see; she's much more than just the girl on the train..."
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Boognish

Quote from: Redler on September 20, 2018, 09:28:58 PMI read a thriller by Paula Hawkins: The girl in the Train (Finnish edition). I'm a friend of thrillers and can recommend this book...

"Rachel catches the same commuter train every morning. She knows it will wait at the same signal each time, overlooking a row of back gardens. She's even started to feel like she knows the people who live in one of the houses. 'Jess and Jason', she calls them. Their life - as she sees it - is perfect. If only Rachel could be that happy. And then she sees something shocking. It's only a minute until the train moves on, but it's enough. Now everything's changed. Now Rachel has a chance to become a part of the lives she's only watched from afar. Now they'll see; she's much more than just the girl on the train..."

I watched this movie recently. A decent movie, but I'm sure - as is usually the case - the book is better.
Okay to cover.

SteveB

I forgot that I had started this thread! Have  to re-read it when time permits. So, not sure whether you'll be able to make out the book titles from this angle, but anyhow. In my main room I have a desk and laptop, and also a reading sofa where I can stretch out at will and pass the time absorbed in whatever I'm currently reading, which at any one time nearly always includes a volume about music - further along the shelf from these books I have the 10 volume 'History of Rock' publication which took me a couple of years to amass, and is one of those items that you can start reading and find yourself still there several hours later! Anyone else into page-flicking??

Update Feb 2024: Re-uploading any fallen images etc that I can place.

recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

TPB

I read Tom Clancy every book that comes out but the geek side of me reads a lot of Tech manuals and DIY types of Pubs
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Blooby

Quote from: Greeny on December 13, 2009, 03:24:12 AM'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman. Weird but literate. I'm well into it!!!

Was re-reading this thread for ideas.  I am half way through this book. Not that I dislike it, but it has proven to be a slog. I have put it down several times and read other books in between. I hope it pays off in the end.

Blooby

SteveB

Longish book ramble here (apologies, I'm a bit p*ss*d. That's U.K. for slightly drunk by the way, as opposed to being angry, which I believe is what some of the world think that it means). So, earlier we interred my Dad's ashes at the local cemetery, and we've now gathered at the family home to have finger-food and drinks in his memory. Anyhow, because I work in food retail (not for much longer kidddo!!), I've not been part of the U.K. Covid lockdowns - I've even got the company-issued T-shirt to prove it. So whatever time I was getting off from work, I wanted to be able to relax from the bizarre situation everyone was finding themselves in. So pre last-Xmas time, my other half typed into Amazon: 'war books for men', which on reflection seems strange as I'm an out and out music-type. So she ended up obtaining two paperback books by a newish U.K. author Mandy Robotham which were duly presented to me at Xmas and I picked up the first one to read in early January this year. Oh, Jeeze, what a premise! A trained midwife prisoner in one of the Nazi death camps is taken to be midwife to Hitler's pregnant mistress Eva Braun. I won't spoil it by revealing further, but by the end of the week I had read both books and had ordered Mandy B's 3rd novel The Berlin Girl. This week I have received the pre-ordered 4th Mandy B. paperback which I have yet to begin - I wouldn't begin it because I knew today would be a bit fluid etc, with it also being, poignantly, the 33rd anniversary of when we cremated my youngest brother who had been killed in an R.T.A. by a drunken driver. Anyhow, if you want an engrossing read based around the World War II era, based in both Germany and Italy, Mandy Robotham is well worth a punt. Way to go! (Again, apologies for the ramble. God knows what this will look like when I sober up?!)

recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Mike_S

Not a massive reader but I always try to have one on the go, although it always takes me a good while to get through one. So posting a pic of what I tend to read... a mix of music, war, sport and then random ones

These are all pretty decent if I remember correctly. Somme Mud is particularly good if you are into real life accounts of war. And really enjoyed Fahrenheit 451. Haven't actually read Brave New World yet but put it in as it's next on my list after I finish Matthew McConaghy's autobiography

recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

maxit

Quote from: Mike_S on September 08, 2021, 11:13:38 AMHaven't actually read Brave New World yet but put it in as it's next on my list after I finish Matthew McConaghy's autobiography

I was, as a boy, a huge reader of the 70s collection in my parents home library: there was a lot of science fiction, the good one - huxley, asimov, bradbury, orwell, ballard, dick. I remember brave new world was just the best of the bunch, along with I, Robot by asmov. But that was then, I'm curious what you think reading nowadays of this 'old' 'brave new world' LoL.
recorder
Audacity