What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Started by SteveB, July 03, 2009, 02:53:03 AM

Geir

The scariest book I've read since "The shining".

"Fear"
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Speed Demon

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

thetworegs

Just finished Blow by Bruce Porter a rip roaring adventure of George Jungs cocaine smuggling life much more exciting than the film in my opinion

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Boognish

Just about finished...

In the Heart of the Sea

Really enjoyed it. Its the story of the whaleship Essex, which was wrecked in 1820 by a sperm whale.
This was a huge story at the time, was apparently taught in schools, etc. and was the inspiration for Moby Dick.

If you like books about starvation, desperation and cannibalism, you'll love In the Heart of the Sea!

But don't take my word for it...
Okay to cover.

cuthbert

Quote from: Boognish on September 18, 2018, 07:51:39 PMIf you like books about starvation, desperation and cannibalism, you'll love In the Heart of the Sea!

Just what I'm looking for, a little light reading. :)

Looks interesting - I think I'll be adding this reading to my list soon.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Hook

Quote from: Speed Demon on September 15, 2018, 02:36:22 PMGeir, who is the author?

I'm pretty sure he's taking about Bob Woodwards new book on the Trump administration.
Not sure I'll read it but I'm sure its scary.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

64Guitars

Quote from: Boognish on September 18, 2018, 07:51:39 PMIts the story of the whaleship Essex, which was wrecked in 1820 by a sperm whale.
This was a huge story at the time, was apparently taught in schools, etc. and was the inspiration for Moby Dick.

I just read the condensed version of the story of the Essex on Wikipedia. Very interesting. It answers a question that has long puzzled me. On the 1971 album "Nantucket Sleighride" by Mountain, the title track is dedicated to Owen Coffin. Until today, I never knew who that was. I assumed it was some friend of the band or something like that. But the Wikipedia page about the Essex says that Owen Coffin was the first of the Essex's crew to draw the short straw and be shot and eaten by the remaining crew. The Wikipedia page about Owen Coffin says that Felix Pappalardi confirmed that the Owen Coffin in the dedication was the one from the Essex tragedy.

By the way, I saw Mountain in December 1970, about a month before the "Nantucket Sleighride" album was released. They performed that song and during the introduction of it, Felix Pappalardi explained that a Nantucket Sleighride is a term used by whalers for when they harpoon a whale and it takes off, towing the whaleboat behind it at high speed. This was very dangerous as some whales would dive deep, dragging the whaleboat and its occupants underwater with it. I was glad that Felix explained the title of the song and album. I just wish he'd mentioned who Owen Coffin was so I wouldn't have to wait almost 48 years to find out.  :)

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Geir

Quote from: Hook on September 18, 2018, 10:00:56 PM
Quote from: Speed Demon on September 15, 2018, 02:36:22 PMGeir, who is the author?

I'm pretty sure he's taking about Bob Woodwards new book on the Trump administration.
Not sure I'll read it but I'm sure its scary.
Rock on!
That is correct !
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Geir

Quote from: 64Guitars on September 18, 2018, 10:55:48 PMI just wish he'd mentioned who Owen Coffin was so I wouldn't have to wait almost 48 years to find out.  :)
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Speed Demon

Fear Chump in The White House.

I'm listening to the audiobook.

I get the impression that a lot of Americans voted for a clueless idiot.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.