SOMETIMES- finished version !

Started by assassin, July 02, 2009, 12:28:01 PM

assassin

tna-SOMETIMES_0708_03
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Ok-- Heres SOMETIMES - finished version (i think )

ASSASSIN.

BossMicroBRew

Assassin,
Nicely constructed song, man. Really like the chord progression and flow of everything. The addition of the acoustic in this gives it a good feel.
BossMicroBRew
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

SteveB

ASN - Please don't cross me off from your Xmas Card list, but I have to be honest and say that I think this is awful. I've just played the two versions together a couple of times, and can't understand what you're trying to achieve with this version. The guitar is just too raucous for this song. Put both versions on your player, and then go and stand outside the door of the room (As I just have), the original arrangement is far superior. It's your song of course, and I'm in no way trying to detract from your undoubted talent, but I just didn't enjoy this.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

SharksDontSleep

AssAssIn;
I'm going to stand on the other side of the fence from SteveB.
I much prefer this version. The drums are much more realistic & the guitar suits the gravelly vocals.
I too have listened to both versions and now don't really like the lily livered soft rock version. Maybe I've been spoilt by this latest gem. SteveB ... you're off your head.
No ... seriously ... I know it's all a matter of choice, however for me ... it's this version 99 times out of 100.

There's much more impact between verse & chorus with this version, mainly due to the gritty guitar.

If I'm going to criticise, it'd have to be the bass. It could've done with being a little tighter. I have a sneaking suspicion it's the BR-600's famous bass sim, which I personally hate.

Looking forward to hearing other opinions, if only to see if I'm alone on this one.

Later Dude  8)

SteveB

GJK - Yep, that's good. Your opinion is as valid as mine, if you prefer the grittier offering, well that's that. I can put my case simply, I would buy the 1st version in a record shop, I wouldn't buy the 2nd. Cheers for your input, though.  ;)
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Greeny

Both versions have their merits, but I have to agree with SteveB that the first version is better. It's an emotional love song (unless I'm very much mistaken!) - and a softer approach works better with a lyric and melody like this. I'm all in favour of some dirt and scuzz when the occasion calls for it, but I think this is a very lovely song that only needs a simple arrangement to shine. Just my opinion!

Bluesberry

I am with SteveB and Greeny,  I like the first version better.  I like the acoustic strumming in the backgoround of the first one and I like the lead fills.  The raw guitar on this one overwhelms the vocal a bit.  No doubt you are a great songwriter.  I like the simpler version witht strumming acoustic guitar better.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

assassin

Hi -- Thank you gentlemen for your input it is very much
appreciated.Your honesty helps, so thanks steve b and greeny.
I was not sure which way to go with this one coz i wanted
to do the vocals justice. So I went for a strightforward
band sound or so i thought. I do understand that the guitar does
great a bit thats why i took it out on the third verse , but i was dissapointed with
the first version so thats why i had to give it another go.
. G1nger no its not a bass sim coz like you i cant stand them,
so its a real bass  -- squire P Bass ( fender copy) but i do have problems
with getting a good bass sound.
Thanks again and we will talk again lads------------------ASSASSIN.

Satchwood

This version has a more "live" sound to it!! 

I guess I'm on the fence on this one - they both have some unique qualities that I like....this one has a much thicker heavier sound that does fit your vox nicely.

Is that your cell phone beeping in there or is it dinner time :)
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

SharksDontSleep

Uh-Oh
Looks like I'm being out voted on this one ... C'est la vie.

Greeny - I know what you mean about emotional love song, but hey ... I still get that emotion from the 2nd version, 'cause I love the fist clenched guitar sound.

I guess there's no accounting for individual tastes ... and mine happens to be for more of a walk on the wild side.
I just wish I'd have written the song, but unfortunately it doesn't come that easy for me. :'(

Until later  8)