BR midi capabilities

Started by guitarron, July 02, 2009, 08:35:40 AM

guitarron

Can anyone here that owns a BR 900, 1200, 1600-tell me how deep the midi capabilities are?
for eg.
Can a midi drum controller be used to record drum patterns?
Has anyone ever tried using SEMPTE with it?- Use the recorder as a master to a keyboard slave for instance.
Would drum patterns from the BR trigger external modules?
Just curious

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

AndyR

I'm interested in the answers to this as well.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Greeny

Stuff like this hurts my brain, lol

64Guitars

Quote from: guitarron on July 02, 2009, 08:35:40 AMCan a midi drum controller be used to record drum patterns?

Sort of. The BR-900 has no MIDI IN so you can't directly control the BR's drum sounds with an external controller. However, you can save the controller's midi data to a Standard Midi File and import that into a BR drum pattern.

The BR-1200 and BR-1600 have both MIDI OUT and MIDI IN, so a midi drum controller or keyboard could be used to input drum and bass patterns directly.

QuoteHas anyone ever tried using SEMPTE with it?- Use the recorder as a master to a keyboard slave for instance.

I often sync my Yamaha PSR-2100 keyboard to my BR-864. This allows me to record up to 16 keyboard tracks with the Yamaha's built-in sequencer, without using any BR tracks. Just connect a standard midi cable from the BR's Midi Out to the keyboard's Midi In. Then set the keyboard to External Clock and set the BR's Sync Gen to MCK. If the keyboard supports MIDI Machine Control (mine doesn't), enable it and set the BR's MMC Master to On. The BR's transport controls (Play, Stop, FF, Rew, Zero) should now control the keyboard's sequencer as well. If your keyboard doesn't support MMC, then Rewind and Fast Forward won't sync but Zero, Stop, and Play will.

QuoteWould drum patterns from the BR trigger external modules?

Yes. However, the BR can only send the midi note values corresponding to its 12 drum sounds plus the two metronome sounds (click and bell). So you won't have access to all of the drum sounds available in the external module. But you can sync the BR to an external midi drum machine the same way that you'd sync to a midi keyboard. That way, you could do all of the drum programming on the external drum machine instead of the BR, but it would play in sync with the BR's audio tracks, just as the BR's own drum machine does.

QuoteCan anyone here that owns a BR 900, 1200, 1600-tell me have deep the midi capabilities are?

By the way, the *BR-600 and BR-864 (which you didn't mention) has the same midi capabilities as the BR-900. The BR-1200 and BR-1600 have even more midi capabilities because they have a Midi In connector. They can change effects patches via midi, control track levels (midi fader), and input drum and bass patterns.

* Oops! The BR-600 doesn't have any midi connectors, so it can't be synced to a keyboard or external drum machine like the BR-864 and BR-900 can. Although, the BR-600 can import Standard Midi Files to a drum pattern.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

guitarron