Why hide?

Started by StevieM, July 02, 2009, 06:27:09 AM

StevieM

I've been thinking! :o
I know why people have user names, (previous threads have shown up all sorts of reasons), but I can't really understand why not show real names on the profile?
What's the harm in having at least first name, age, and where from on there?
I'm sure there must be a good reason for some people, but can't think of any right now ???
Hope asking this hasn't upset anyone???? I'm just curious really.
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Greeny

I think it's hard for a newbie to realise what a friendly, open place this is when they first join (unless they've lurked for a bit). My first user name was LesPaulGoldTop (which I just chose on a whim during sign-up), but I changed it to Greeny when I felt at home here. The only downside with that is that it's quite confusing for other users when they're familar with you under a certain name!

Totally agree though - especially when a lot of us have soundclick and myspace sites where there's lots more personal information.

I think most people slowly come round to being more 'open' - there's a lot of people on here now who I know by first name, and have conversed with via email.

guitarron

it's cautious times we live in
you can call me ron if ya want

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ferryman

Habit I guess. Names are usually taken, I know Ferryman_1957 never is (altho Ferryman on its own is sometimes taken). So I just went with that when I signed up but I always sign my posts with my real name.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

AndyR

This is my real name :D

EDIT: Although I would rather be called Andrew ::)

And people I know from my gigging days still think my name is Angus!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Ferryman

Quote from: AndyR on July 02, 2009, 08:57:25 AMAnd people I know from my gigging days still think my name is Angus!

Have you stopped wearing those shorts and school cap then?  :)

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tony W

I just changed my name, thanks Stevie. When I first joined this forum, I originally thought I'd get in, get some information about the Micro Br, and remain a lurker. I'm not a very good lurker.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

Quote from: Tony W on July 02, 2009, 09:37:19 AMI just changed my name, thanks Stevie. When I first joined this forum, I originally thought I'd get in, get some information about the Micro Br, and remain a lurker. I'm not a very good lurker.

Ha ha... nice one! Hello Tony!!!! I wonder if anyone else will do the same!

Bro

I'm danish! It's not that easy for you british folks to find a way to say my real name. Thats why, but my age and so can all be seen in my profile
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

StevieM

Hey Tony,we're glad you're not a very good lurker ;).

I don't want anyone to get me wrong on this, I've got NOTHING against user names, some of 'em are really good, and funny.  On a couple of history sites I'm Gimley, and Planet Rock it's ----Eeyore. That way I can be a right grumpy old sod and get away with it!!!!! ;D ;D

It's just that I don't see the need to not at least put a first name on your profile. At least then if, lets say, there's a PM either way, it sounds a bit friendlier than just putting 'Hi there' or something?

Just my thoughts on it, that's all.
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!