What's Wrong With You?

Started by Mike_S, April 18, 2024, 02:51:40 AM

Mike_S

What's Wrong With You
Time:
0:00
Volume:
After the last tune, I really wanted to do something way more experimental.

So I started messing with strange riff for a few days and gradually worked in into some kind of song. For the words I more or less just blurted the first few lines that came into my head. I thought, yeah that kinda goes with the chaos so I then wrote more verses/chorus in the same weird style.

Stuck a guitar solo on and added a strange reverse delay effect on the vocal towards the end.

Anyway here goes:

1 rhythm guitar (mex strat) duplicated left and right
1 lead guitar solo
bass and drums GarageBand
vocals

What's wrong with you
What's wrong with me
And everybody
What's wrong with you
What's wrong with me
And everybody else
Don't you see

Nothing is clear
Nothing is real

Everything is
Upside down
Everything is
Back to front
Every down is up
Everything is front to back

Excuses overflow
To the abyss
below
No one listening
Truth buried
Is buried deep
Expending energy
Fighting the enemy

Ideas turn to dust
As all things must

Everything is
Upside down
Everything is
Back to front
Every down is up
Everything is front to back
recorder
iPad GarageBand

karl1171

Thats an interesting chord progression and very catchy.

The vocals remind me of someone, and I'm racking my brains to think of who this primarily is... I can hear shades of John Lydon and Bryan Ferry in them but I'm thinking of someone else. Guitar is a bit REM ish... an odd mixture but it really works!

Ron D Bowes

As Karl said - interesting chord progression. Reminds of some of Alice Cooper's earlier work with a sprinking of Beefheart.

StephenM

I love your ascending and descending leads on this... it reminds me of being in a cool car on a hilly road and just going up and going down with the breeze blowing through...really free spirited... the whole song is free spirited.

the way you sing!  !!!  Sung with real intent!

The lyrics work perfect here... and I also agree at times this is very REM... the singing a little at times also... I might not have noticed that if Karl didn't mention it.

The progression and chords are colorful and on the dark side, flipping to light... in that regard it reminds me of when I was a kid and would turn the light switch on and off to get a strobe effect...

a real head wrecker Mike!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

BerryPatch

Very cool selection of chords, it gives off a sense of post-punky unease. And, man that solo! It's like something the late, great Tom Verlaine would come up with. I really dig this!

Ray Brookes

It's great to experiment sometimes and this one has paid off, Mike. Lovely unusual chord progressions and I like how those guitars drive the song along. That reverse delay effect on your vocal near the end sounds weird yet it works so well.
Ray Brookes

SE

Cool stuff Mike, suits you sir wish I could sound this good!
recorder
Boss BR-80

Greeny

Feels different... feels darker and more edgy. In a good way. Almost flamenco chords in places. The heaviness of the guitars really works. I like the lyric, the delivery, the guitar tone, the drum-only ending... everything! Excellent.

Trist

There are people in punk and rock cirtuits that would love this, got a kind of new york punk poet rock sound to it, 70's style
it's real insteresting and you do it so well,

Bluesberry

Yeah man...I really like this killer song....excellent chord progressions...love the lyrics......and that killer guitar solo...the tension is building ....cant take it ...gonna pop a vein.......love this...Tom Verlaine indeed

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand