Leap Of Faith by BerryPatch

Started by BerryPatch, April 17, 2024, 08:36:47 PM

BerryPatch

Quote from: StephenM on April 18, 2024, 06:15:08 AM"because micing amps all the time can be a total pain in the butt."  more or less DI works well in recording imo... you are going to usually eq anyway so you can make the freq spectrum more how you want it... also sometimes I use plug ins that will completely change the amp sounds anyway... If I were going to do the micing amps thing (I have miced up for bass a few times) I would want to leave everything set up to make it easy... and you have to have the correct mic stands to do it too...
I know a guy who is a big time pro, plays for hundreds to thousands of people, has done USO tours etc and he doesn't use an amp anymore live... he uses his line 6 helix... sounds amazing and lots of goodies during his 2 hour shows...and he never fiddles much with it.

I'm starting to find that myself, sometimes micing can feel like you're kinda trapped into whatever tone you have joining on in the moment/the feeling the mic isn't capturing the way you want it to sound when its in the room. I like being able to go back and fidget with things a little not to mention it's much easier to work without all the wires going around.

A nice thing with Garageband is running through the audio you recorded into one of the GB amps fairly flat to sort of use it as a "cabinet". I found when I did that with the pedals I used it took out some of the harshness/made it sound a bit more authentic.

Also, thank you all for the lovely comments!

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

Yeah what a great song, just agree with everything others have stated. Every song I've heard from you is a joy to listen to. Really well played,performed and produced. It's a great feel good song, great lyrics and a catchy chorus.
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

Greeny

Yeah - I get bored of mic'ing amps up too.

Sumptuous, blissful stuff. Your production on this is outstanding - total ear candy. That bass alone is a thing of joy. I just love the whole ensemble of this brilliant song with it's huge melodies and harmonies. Such talent!

Trist

nice guitars and you carry the song well, it has a ole skool feel which is cool, love the organ and harmony is real nice

Mike_S

A break is a good thing every now and again. I think we all need it. But you have come back in a great way here. Great singing on this one and it's just a really great piece of songwriting.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Johnbee

Nice "come back" tune.  Was wondering where you got to.

:) John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

tolga

The sound quality and recording of your song are fantastic! Well done! I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it.
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Yamaha Pacifica 112VM

Fender Squire

Farrell Jackson

Using the pedals direct works well! I also get tired of setting up a mic and amp. It's cool to have a plan B with the pedals, especially when you get results like this. The song is very appealing to me with the fantastic words, vocals, and melody. The keys are a great addition. You sold the goods here with this excellent mix!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

kenny mac

What an excellent song.
Musically and sonically it's great.
Love the harmonies in the background.
Great guitar sound as well.
Excellent.

Ted

I really love the sweet vocal performance on this. It comes through as very earnest.

Excellent songwriting. I've learned to pay attention to the bass on your songs, and it's wonderful and understated. (Bass should aways be understated except when it shouldn't be.)

I say this as a fan, BerryPatch: The whole song is understated to a fault. It reminds me of many of Todd Rundgren's underachievements – skillfully written and played, and expertly produced, but lacking the certain spark of genius; the surprises that you know Todd is capable of. Although I'm being a little critical, I'm comparing you to Todd Fucking Rundgren! This is the same feedback I've given to one of my closest songwriter friends whose playing and songwriting skill I admire deeply (except with him the comparison is to James Taylor, not Todd Rundgren).

At your age you should be playing with fire – in every song. Get some matches!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac