BR-600: Longevity and Advantages Over It Successor?

Started by X-Plorer, April 13, 2024, 12:20:58 AM

Hello Everyone,

Sorry if my question seems trite to some of the veterans here. However, it might be interested to those neophites like myself who are about to buy pre-owned gear.

So, basically, I would like to ask the following two things:

1. How durable is BR-600? I mean, these machines on the aftermarket are about 20 yo now. Time takes its toll. But some pieces of electronics do demonstrate amazing longevity. So, how about BR-600? Does it deteriorate much, used or unused, with time, including faded or otherwise "tired" plastic and especially the rubber buttons? How about the faders? Etc...

2. Does BR-600 have any functional or build-quality advantages over its successor--BR-800? Some users mention that they prefer the "more trusty and old-school" rubber knobs over the sensor-style knobs on the newer device.

Thanks for any relevant feedback!

SteveB

Hello X-Plorer, well you had me gripped in the 1st sentence with 'trite' and 'neophyte', please stick around! I can't help you with this particular unit – I even had to Google the product to see what it was – however, I've had 3 BR recorders 864(?), 900, and my still current stand-alone recording unit the BR1200, which I purchased I think in about 2007, and as I reported in another post recently still works 100%. Obviously I can't tell what history or condition the unit you may buy is in, but BOSS seem to have produced decent recording units from the word go, so from that perspective I doubt you would be getting a real clunker. Good luck with your decision. Beyond that, you will not find another Forum on the www. as friendly or as knowledgable on Boss stuff as Songcrafters, it really is a remarkable site. Once again, good luck.  8)
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Quote from: SteveB on April 13, 2024, 01:59:46 AMHello X-Plorer, well you had me gripped in the 1st sentence with 'trite' and 'neophyte', please stick around! I can't help you with this particular unit – I even had to Google the product to see what it was – however, I've had 3 BR recorders 864(?), 900, and my still current stand-alone recording unit the BR1200, which I purchased I think in about 2007, and as I reported in another post recently still works 100%. Obviously I can't tell what history or condition the unit you may buy is in, but BOSS seem to have produced decent recording units from the word go, so from that perspective I doubt you would be getting a real clunker. Good luck with your decision. Beyond that, you will not find another Forum on the www. as friendly or as knowledgable on Boss stuff as Songcrafters, it really is a remarkable site. Once again, good luck.  8)

Thanks SteveB, I agree with you on all the points, especially on the friendliness of the crowd here. Or should I rather say concur? :)

Pete C

I bought my BR600 around 2007 and used it up until 2020 when I bought a BR800. The main reason was that Boss no longer supported the BR600 and when Windows 10 came out my PC would no longer recognise it and I had to use a long-winded method of exporting my songs by exporting the .wav file to an old laptop with an older operating system, then transferring it to a memory stick to transfer it to my PC. 64 Guitars had recommended getting a card reader as an alternative method.

I liked the way the BR600 was built -  the BR800 feels more boxier and less solid and I think I prefer the rubber buttons to the touch-sensitive ones on the BR800. It took a little time to get used to the diffferences in operating the BR800 but there are no vast differences between the two. I miss having the BR600 drum pads which I often used to add my own fills but I do prefer the vocal effects on the BR800 as i can now add harmonies. I'm keeping the BR600 as a back-up as it was still working perfectly last time I used it.

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Quote from: Pete C on April 13, 2024, 07:06:48 AMI bought my BR600 around 2007 and used it up until 2020 when I bought a BR800. The main reason was that Boss no longer supported the BR600 and when Windows 10 came out my PC would no longer recognise it and I had to use a long-winded method of exporting my songs by exporting the .wav file to an old laptop with an older operating system, then transferring it to a memory stick to transfer it to my PC. 64 Guitars had recommended getting a card reader as an alternative method.

I liked the way the BR600 was built -  the BR800 feels more boxier and less solid and I think I prefer the rubber buttons to the touch-sensitive ones on the BR800. It took a little time to get used to the diffferences in operating the BR800 but there are no vast differences between the two. I miss having the BR600 drum pads which I often used to add my own fills but I do prefer the vocal effects on the BR800 as i can now add harmonies. I'm keeping the BR600 as a back-up as it was still working perfectly last time I used it.

Pete

Hi Pete. Thanks. Yours are very interesting observations, especially what you are saying about such a unique feature of the BR-600 as the drum pads.

Ted

Here is a hot take from a cold memory: The BR 600 isn't that great. Based on my needs, I'd get a BR 800.

I've had a Micro BR for years, and I've been thinking about my MBR's end of life. So far the BR 800 has an edge on most other options I've looked at.

A long time ago BR 600 showed up used somewhere, and I convinced a friend of mine to get it. We recorded a song with it, so I got to play with one for one evening and I didn't really like it. I don't quite remember everything I didn't like about it. I remember that it doesn't export MP3s. That seems petty, so there must have been other objections. I still feel kind of guilty for talking my friend into buying it.

Now there are people on this site who bought BR 800s and loved them. And others who did and still prefer the Micro BR. I don't think there is anyone on this site who uses a BR 600 as their primary go-to recording unit. I could be wrong, but I think – after my brief and disappointing experience with the unit – I would have noticed if someone else was in love their BR 600.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Pete C

Quote from: Ted on April 13, 2024, 03:35:15 PMA long time ago BR 600 showed up used somewhere, and I convinced a friend of mine to get it. We recorded a song with it, so I got to play with one for one evening and I didn't really like it. I don't quite remember everything I didn't like about it. I remember that it doesn't export MP3s. That seems petty, so there must have been other objections. I still feel kind of guilty for talking my friend into buying it.

The BR600 exports songs as .wav files. The BR800 exports them in a different format and you need to have the Boss Wave Convertor on your PC to convert the file to .wav. I then import the .wav to Audacity, trim, normalise and add a fade-out if needed and then export it from Audacity as a .mp3 file to upload to the Songcrafters.

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800