"From Swoon to Swill"

Started by Blooby, April 09, 2024, 12:20:37 PM

Ted

Quote from: Ray Brookes on April 09, 2024, 02:41:00 PMit sounds like your mom burst into the bedroom and told you to stop all the noise

;D

The Wavedrum playing sounds great. Is that all you playing live, or did it get cleaned up with MIDI and quantizing? Because I couldn't play live drums that tight on my best day. (If that's a rude question, just ignore it.)

I love the backwards effects – always do. And you do them so well. I have a pedal with that effect, and I still haven't figured out how to make it sound the way I want to hear it.

It's so spacious, and never muddy. And, yes, it ends too soon.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

chapperz66

Excellent trippy stuff.  Great phrasing and playing - of course.

Paul

Blooby

Quote from: Ted on April 12, 2024, 01:44:56 AMThe Wavdrum... Is that all you playing live, or did it get cleaned up with MIDI and quantizing?

The backwards effects...

I played it live, but it is mostly sliced up into one or two bar loops so I only had to retain some sense of groove for five or ten seconds. The wavdrum has no midi. For those of you who have never heard of one, the wavdrum is an e-drum that focuses on hand percussion. It's about the size of a snare, about three inches deep, and has an actual drum head, which has four zones and some ridges for other sounds, some of which you can choke like a conga slap. You can also push down on the head to bend pitch.

As for the backwards thing, I have some pedals I occasionally use, but what I usually do is reverse a section in a DAW, and rather than leaving it where it is, I'll massage it to where it seems to fit better. One trick is to match up a swell to a crescendo or just a cymbal crash in the rest of the song (and then I'll check the rest and might cut it up further to make the it sit). Other times, I'll just drop a backwards section low in the mix that is over something harmonically simple otherwise. Adds a nice pad to what could be pretty banal (at least to my ears).

I appreciate you listening and asking.

Blooby

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Ted

Quote from: Blooby on April 12, 2024, 09:07:43 AMwhat I usually do is reverse a section in a DAW,

Thats old school! But I like the results.

My most successful use of backwards guitar was ""Cleanup Man" by Ted (featuring Tony W)" – a long time ago.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

Sounds brilliant. The style and the percussion kind of reminds me of some Paul Simon songs.
The looped guitar and drums sounds are great with the delay. Some really good fast playing, really impressive sounding all round.
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.