Thoughts on genre

Started by Ray Brookes, April 05, 2024, 10:13:51 AM

Ray Brookes

I just wanted to share a few thoughts regarding genres and styles of music. Many years ago I could never decide which genre I would go with regarding writing songs.

At first I thought maybe blues?
Howling Ray or Muddy Brookes? Nah, before long I got bored with 12-bar blues over and over.

Then I thought maybe folk music and change my name to a Welsh poet. Nah, all that acoustic finger-picking bollocks started to sound the same to me.

Then maybe country music or bluegrass? - Nah, didn't really have the accent for it.

Contemporary jazz? - Too bloody weird.

Hard rock? - Nah, never really had the right voice and besides it was giving me migraines. 

1950's rock n roll? - Nah, too bloody boring and I could never grow the right hairstyle.

So, over time I realised I could never totally focus on one particular style so the result being that I dabble, chop and change between whatever genre I can, meaning I have ended up as a jack of all trades yet a master of none.

Does anyone else here have similar thoughts?
Ray Brookes

Farrell Jackson

"a jack of all trades yet a master of none". Ray, that comment is a huge understatement when it comes to your musical skills! You are a master of many. Now that's out of the way, on to your question;

I also bounce around in genres. I've tackled many with some suiting me better than others. When practicing or songwriting I usually plunk around on my guitar until some riff or chord sequence catches my attention. Then I hum or use any words that pop into my head. If it sounds like a song worth pursuing, I'll work it out. I typically wait until the song is completed to decide what genre it falls close to. Once in a while I will try to go for a certain genre but it will most likely sound like another one so I go with that, lol. I think the many years I played in a top 40 cover band, playing everything from country rock to hard rock, keeps me in the variety lane of genres. So yes, my thought about genres is very similar to yours. Good question! 
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Zoltan

Quote from: Ray Brookes on April 05, 2024, 10:13:51 AMDoes anyone else here have similar thoughts?

Yes. All the time. I often wonder how easy it would be to just choose a genre and stick with it. I'm almost jealous of those who can. I know people who have chosen "it's punk", or "it's metal", or whatever and that's all they do. This makes it easier in all aspects of playing and even gear. Choose the kind of pedals, guitars etc. that work for that particular genre. Find a sound and build on that.

Genre hopping is a lot harder because everything changes. The songwriting, conventions, sounds etc.
One can always forget about the genre, but the end results will most likely be a somekind of indie/alternative/melting pot rather than a totally new genre.

Quote from: Ray Brookes on April 05, 2024, 10:13:51 AMmeaning I have ended up as a jack of all trades yet a master of none.

Hearing Ray throw this in the air gives many of us hope! :) It's so way of the mark as you've clearly paid your dues and made several genres your own. But would have it been easier if you'd stick to a one genre with only occasional detours... Most likely.

I think in the end it boils down to being a songwriter. When a person is into all of it. The sounds, the images, the words, the stories etc. And having a certain curiosity on how things work. Having an adventurous mind.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Mike_S

Yes an interesting conversation Ray... for a second I thought the thread said "Thoughts on gender" and I thought blimey this could all kick off in a minute and then I read it again! :)

Yeah, genre. It's a very personal thing which way to approach it. And there is no right answer or approach I think. People can criticize AC/DC for writing the same album 30 times or whatever but a lot of people get a lot of good entertainment and memories from seeing/hearing AC/DC. Same goes for Status Quo or even Iron Maiden. And then you can look at the likes of David Bowie or artists who shift through time with different sounds. If people enjoy it that's what counts.

I have always felt I would be one of those artists (if i had ever made it big! imagine!! :) that I would really feel confined and even depressed if I had to stick to the same beaten path to please fans. I imagine myself just not being able to do it any more and throwing my toys out of the pram, a bit like Gary Moore who became famous with Hard Rock/Metal then seemed to have a few personal crises and switch to rock/electronica and then pure blues. I tihnk that's kinda ho my mind works.

That's even one of the reasons I haven't posted any tunes for quite a while. Not the only reason though, I am in the middle of a few things in life that have put my head in the wrong space for music. But while I am "away" I am coming to the conclusion I might be done with my regular "style whatever that is and want to find a new sound if I can. This sounds very self indulgent and a bit rock stary... but hey it's fun pretending!

But being independent home musicians we may even be happier than some of our heros... we are free as a bird to do whatever the hell we want and that is great... did Kenny say something similar in another thread? I tihnk he might have.

Mike

recorder
iPad GarageBand

thetworegs

People like to label, they the unseen critic's of the  world like to put things into a box it's satisfying for them and it makes it easier to sell. I don't understand what half the genre's are when I look at the list putting song up on Spotify.
I write just to find out what I can do.  I'm Limited in my playing ability so that limits what comes out. As far as sticking to one genre I have no interest I like to dabble.
As you may be able to tell i certainly come under the banner jack of all trades and master of none but who cares when they are expressing themselves.
I could never be a pro I would bore myself doing the same old songs every night some for years I'd feel like a performing monkey. I can't normally concentrate on one song for more than a couple of hours before becoming bored with it. I like entertaining me too much to even think what genre. I think the labelling gets in the way of the creating.
Surely people like what they like regardless of genre apart from when your a teenager with an over inflated opinion of what's right and what's wrong. Is there a right and wrong to music when you take genre out of the equation?

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Mike_S

Quote from: thetworegs on April 06, 2024, 12:18:01 AMI would bore myself doing the same old songs every night some for years I'd feel like a performing monkey. I can't normally concentrate on one song for more than a couple of hours before becoming bored with it.

I totally get this too. A lot of the times when I am creating/recording my songs I am fed up with them before I am finished and just want to move on to the next one. Sometimes I think I should probably put a bit more effort in and think of a decent middle 8 or a better solo or ending or something but I really couldn't be arsed and just want to move on. When I see what some others do sometimes though it makes feel bad.

Mike

recorder
iPad GarageBand

Blooby

I think a lot of his comes down to what we listened to in our formative years. FM radio in the states was all over the place, and I had friends and brothers who were listening to folk, blues, fusion, prog, classic rock, classical, trad jazz, etc. Didn't appreciate country until later. I am glad I didn't grow up in a household where one style of music dominated. I don't really think about genres unless I am trying to be somewhat authentic to one (which rarely seems to happen).

Blooby

chapperz66

Interesting thoughts here and I share most of the opinions.

I have dabbled in a few different styles.  Brass bands, English folk, rock, metal, techno. I have even dabbled in orchestral classical - at least after a fashion  :) .  If I had to nail my colours to any one mast I guess it would be progressive.  After all progressive covers most other styles, and for me it is whatever I want it to be.

It is a great regret that I shall never be a singer songwriter.  I have a voice that even a mother couldn't love!

bruno

I like to think of it as we do not have an audience to please, imagine having to play paranoid every night for the last 50 years!
Playing with different genres is a challenge and something to grow as a player with.
Plus its an opportunity to buy more gear. Strat = blues and TS, country is a tele and compressor, metal is an Ibanez and a metal zone etc.

I love taking a tune and morphing into something else entirely.

Have fun.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Ted

It's kind of cliché, and kind of annoying when people say it: There should be no genres, man; it's all MUSIC!

However, I kind of agree with that sentiment. The singer for my band The Nutrients once asked what our genre is, and I said, "I hope you're sitting down. We're a rock band." He didn't like that answer. He wanted to be able to sub-categorize our sound for reasons that I kind of understand. He wanted to invite people to come and see us live, and give them some kind of expectation. I think that is the utility of genres.

As a composer and songwriter I prefer to think about genre (if I think of it) after the fact – rather than create music with a genre in mind. If a punk song comes to me, it's probably going to be an attempt at a punk song. But it could take me in another direction once I get working on it, and I don't want genre to be my compass.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac