BR-800: Is a Lead-In Possible Before Recording Starts?

Started by X-Plorer, April 04, 2024, 01:27:16 PM

Hi Everyone,

Here is a quiestion to BR-800 gurus regarding the recording function...

Normally, when recording is made on a computer, any DAW would by default play a few measures before the recording starts (a lead-in), which is a very convenient feature as it allows one to better "join in" the flow of music.

Having read the manual, I don't really see how to do it on BR-800. It looks like one can start recording from a specific selected point in time without the possibility to first listen to a short "preview" of the material already recorded either on the track armed for recording, or on other existing tracks.

Am I missing anything?

Ted

Check out "Auto Punch-In/Out" - page 46 of the manual.

Say you want to start recording on measure 32 and stop recording a measure 40. You set the Auto Punch-in for measure 32, and Auto Punch-Out at measure 40. You can back up the song anywhere before measure 32, and press record and play – but it won't record until you get to measure 32. You can play along naturally and let the unit punch in for you.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

64Guitars

Quote from: X-Plorer on April 04, 2024, 01:27:16 PMNormally, when recording is made on a computer, any DAW would by default play a few measures before the recording starts (a lead-in), which is a very convenient feature as it allows one to better "join in" the flow of music.

It sounds like what you're looking for is a count-in. With the BR series recorders, you can create a 2-bar count-in by making a drum arrangement and setting steps 1 and 2 to either the metronome or preset P265:Cnty1. When your song is finished, you can trim off the first two measures so the count-in isn't included in the final master.

See https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?msg=166743 (especially the last couple of paragraphs).

Also see the "Using Rhythm" section of the BR-800 manual which begins on page 87.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Quote from: Ted on April 04, 2024, 01:51:54 PMCheck out "Auto Punch-In/Out" - page 46 of the manual.

Say you want to start recording on measure 32 and stop recording a measure 40. You set the Auto Punch-in for measure 32, and Auto Punch-Out at measure 40. You can back up the song anywhere before measure 32, and press record and play – but it won't record until you get to measure 32. You can play along naturally and let the unit punch in for you.

Thanks a lot! Looks like this is it.

Quote from: 64Guitars on April 05, 2024, 02:10:16 PMIt sounds like what you're looking for is a count-in. With the BR series recorders, you can create a 2-bar count-in by making a drum arrangement and setting steps 1 and 2 to either the metronome or preset P265:Cnty1. When your song is finished, you can trim off the first two measures so the count-in isn't included in the final master.

See https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?msg=166743 (especially the last couple of paragraphs).

Also see the "Using Rhythm" section of the BR-800 manual which begins on page 87.

Thanks! Yes, I saw the "count-in" thing in the manual, but it does not look like what I need. This is becasue what I need is the possibility to "seamlessly" record separate parts of a song. But the count-in can only be applied at the very beginning of a song, right?

Ted

Quote from: X-Plorer on April 06, 2024, 01:10:21 PMThanks a lot! Looks like this is it.

Great. Come for the tech advice. Stay for the community.

Post your new music.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac