Ol'55 - Tom Waits (and Eagles) cover by des0free

Started by des0free, April 01, 2024, 11:59:35 PM

des0free

Ol'55 Tom Waits Cover by des0free
Time:
0:00
Volume:
TomWaitsFest (banner image missing)

I don't know much about Tom Waits, except I knew this song because the Eagles covered it, and I liked their version a lot, and I had previously found out that it was written by Tom Waits. When I saw the festival, it rang a bell and I knew I should try to cover it, influenced by the Eagles version.  I sped up the tempo compared to original, I think.

I learned this fairly quickly playing along with MIDI backing tracks (piano, bass, drums) using a Fender Acoustasonic Player Tele (new acquisition) plugged in direct into a Tascam USB interface to Reaper and sang into a CAD D90 mic. I managed to do guitar + vocal in one continuous take, with no edits (maybe could have used some...).  I overdubbed two backing vocals on the chorus. I would have liked to make a video of myself performing this, but I don't have the song memorized, so had to read the chords/lyrics off paper; and it's generally a lot more trouble to make a video (e.g., mess up living room setting up, pressure to "look cool", etc.)

recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

thetworegs

You've done a great job on this Des it has that Eagles velvetness to it. I didn't know Tom had written this one ... everyday a learning day

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Farrell Jackson

Great work on this cover Doug! I was thinking about doing this one for the fest. But no to need now because you've got all the bases covered perfectly. Luckily TW has a lot to choose from. A most excellent cover!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Blooby

You are in lovely voice here. Wish I could sing. I just disturb my cats.

Blooby

Ted

This is a good first run at the song. I think this song could grow on you. The MIDI backing sounds "a little antiseptic." (See below.) I'm sure you could do a more expressive version if you played more of the instruments, and memorized the words. Then do the video version! 

Quote from: Americana UKIn a 1975 interview Waits dismissed the Eagles' version of his song as "a little antiseptic". A year later, in an interview for NME, Waits elaborated, "I don't like the Eagles.  They're about as exciting as watching paint dry.

https://americana-uk.com/versions-ol-55

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Mike_S

I think this sounds great Doug, I am really appreciating the the vocal / guitar performance done live in one take. That is no mean feat and a lot harder than some of the pros make it seem. Like Blooby says, you are indeed in fine voice. Well done!

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

SteveB

Oh, very nice. I was working shift-work when this was released by the Eagles, and I also had a motorbike, so the number of times I've been singing this full-throated when coming home from a night-shift. Anyway, this version is all wonderful, it even has that warm, laid-back vibe which made it so enchanting originally. Well done, thoroughly enjoyable  8)
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Jean Pierre

Are you satisfied with this fender acoustasonic?
very successful, I like the piano part, it's played with midi?
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

Ray Brookes

Nicely covered - have not heard this song for ages.
Ray Brookes