Kitchen Man , a Bessie Smith song cover par Cécile, Guillaume et JP

Started by Jean Pierre, April 01, 2024, 10:42:39 AM

Jean Pierre

KITCHEN MAN RENDER mp3-001
Time:
0:00
Volume:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9TK-OsEcwA

this is a song by Bessie Smith She was nicknamed the Empress of the Blues. She is often considered to be one of the greatest singers of her time and had a major influence on other blues singers, as well as jazz singers.here sung by Cécile Ukulele, spoons, brush brooms Guillaume Uke Bass, Mandolin Jp Dobro

lyrics on the video

recorded in my attic studion I'm a Attic Man  :)
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

Farrell Jackson

I like these old blues numbers JP! Bessie Smith was a very good singer, player and songwriter. I like her provocative lyrics with the hidden meanings, lol. You all did a great job on the video and recording. Cecile sang it really good!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Ted

Cécile! Are you American or just a great mimic? Not a hint of French accent. Excellent vocal performance!

A really good recording, but Cécile steals the show.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Blooby

You really capture a moment out of time here. A fantastic listen.

By the way, Pierre Bensusan shockingly played a small local listening room recently. A wonderful show and a nice guy as I got to chat with him briefly.

Peace.

Blooby

Jean Pierre

Thanks guys, in fact my daughter speaks English very well (a little better than me ;D ) and for good reason she studied it at university.

Blooby , I'm glad you like Pierre Bensusan, he's my absolute guitar idol! I've been following him since the very beginning, when he was still playing mandolin in Bill Keith's bluegrass band... but he also played a few solo pieces on guitar, mainly traditional songs arranged by himself.

Then he became a Dadgad guitarist, firstly Celtic, then evolving towards a very personal, unclassifiable style, with an impressive mastery of counterpoint and, more generally, polyphony, and, from a purely technical point of view, appogiaturas, artificial harmonics, extensive use of legato and the harp effect (sequencing of contiguous notes on different strings) to make the most of the natural sustain offered by DADGAD open tuning.
And it's no coincidence that Ana Vidovic, one of our greatest contemporary classical guitarists, has included a piece by Pierre (in Dadgad) in her repertoire.

Every time he comes to France, in Lyon, I go and see him and, as you say, you can have a very nice chat with him at the end of the concert... he's a musical craftsman, not a pop star!

I did a cover of his song "Demain dès l'Aube", a poem by Victor Hugo, which he set to music...but I saw that you had listened to it and left a comment...

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK7IRXcuGlc
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

thetworegs

Cecile has done a beautiful job with the vocal and I love that backing an excellent cover.

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

des0free

Love the vintage acoustic vibe on this and the great playing and singing. It is also mixed really well!  This is one of those songs it might be interesting to try putting on one of those VST that puts a "vinyl record" scratchy needle noise effect on; not heavy, but just a little. For example there is an Abbey Road vinyl effect VST, but I don't have that one.
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Jean Pierre

QuoteThis is one of those songs it might be interesting to try putting on one of those VST that puts a "vinyl record" scratchy needle noise effect on; not heavy, but just a little. For example there is an Abbey Road vinyl effect VST, but I don't have that one.

oui effectivement le style et l'ancienneté de la chanson justifieraient l'utilisation de cet effet vinyl je l'ai utilisé dans ce morceau

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbE5j3REVdM