Copyright-protected recordings are NOT ALLOWED!

Started by 64Guitars, March 27, 2024, 12:53:10 PM

64Guitars

Uploading of copyright-protected material is not allowed at Songcrafters. That means you can't post a commercial recording which is protected by copyright laws, even if you play or sing along with it. And you can't create a backing track for your recording by using AI software to remove the vocals or guitar from a commercial recording. Nor can you use AI software to extract a desired instrument from a commercial recording to be mixed with your own tracks.

It also means that you can't upload other copyright-protected material such as sheet music, books, magazine articles, etc.

Anyone who repeatedly uploads copyright-protected material will be banned from Songcrafters permanently.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

SteveB

64Gtrs - Ooops, several times over. Does this include 'book covers', as in What Book are You Currently Reading? If so, please delete the whole thread. Guess 'Mods' of all descriptions on a lot of www sites are going to have their work cut out for them.  :-[
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

64Guitars

Quote from: SteveB on March 27, 2024, 01:03:02 PMDoes this include 'book covers', as in What Book are You Currently Reading?

A photo of a book's cover is probably okay. However, I would suggest that, rather than uploading it to our server, you simply link to a photo found on another site. Which is what you've been doing, as far as I can see, so that's fine.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Jean Pierre

so to clarify the situation

[magazine articles[/quote]....

-can you include articles or excerpts of articles from wikipedia?

-Can you include a few bars of music in an audio file?

- If I replace the bass and keyboard in my cover of "il faut tourner la page" with my own instruments, can I republish it so that it is included in my joke box?
ts
- Is using audio tracks from Band in a Box (instruments played by real musicians) allowed?

- Is it allowed to publish a music video published on You Tube and containing film quotes (film extracts)?

thank you for your answers
-

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

SteveB

JP - there are some pertinent points you raise here. The whole of this AI thing seems an absolute minefield. Just think, when this site was started, I presume, AI wasn't on the horizon. Or is that just wishful thinking from me?  ???
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Bishmanrock

Posting anything that either uses a copyrighted work either in its entirety, or in major part (e.g. stems, a full section from the song, etc.) is fairly clear cut that it's a violation of a copyright as far as I understand

Posting quotes or snippets from books/articles comes under fair use as far as I'm aware, but don't quote me on that. E.g. quoting a snippet of a magazine article to reinforce a point is fine, but reproducing the entire article is not. This is how Wikipedia gets to use album artwork, song snippets, etc. The articles represent the product, but in no way are a replacement for it. Either way, I'd follow Songcrafters rules on this.

What's Songcrafters stance on things like sampling out of interest?

recorder
Cubase

Zoltan

Quote- Is using audio tracks from Band in a Box (instruments played by real musicians) allowed?

Yes.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Jean Pierre

Good or bad, it's all a bit confusing and unclear

...because can we even make and publish covers on SC?
By definition, covers are reproductions of works protected by copyright, or should we only do covers of old works that have fallen into the public domain: Bach, Vivaldi, etc.?

As regards in particular this cover of Claude Nougaro "il faut tourner la page" whose title in this context is succulent.... :)
 you rightly deleted it from my initial message and I fully understand your position.
But then, because it's interesting:

Can I republish this cover version with my own interpretation of the orchestral part, i.e. guitar and keyboard?
Can I use additional tracks from BAND IN A BOX? for example to generate a bass line?
) and finally, can I put the link, if not the video, of my initial version with IA1 which was published on You Tube so that everyone can see the difference between the two versions?

traduit avec Deepl_________________________
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

cuthbert

JP, there is no need to overthink this.

64Guitars' post was quite clear: We don't allow members to UPLOAD FILES of copyrighted material (music recordings, sheet music, books, magazine articles, etc.), to our server.

That's always been our policy.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Jean Pierre