Be The Enigma (for Ted) Original

Started by Johnbee, March 26, 2024, 12:36:38 PM

Mike_S

This is a kind of slow burner. I have listened a few times now and it really grows with listens and becomes quite captivating. The topic is great as are the lyrics. Wrestling with thoughts and looking for answers that don't come. It sort of sums up life in a way. But to look at it another way... life is more about the journey than the destination as the cliché goes. The only thing about people that is predictable is that they often don't react how we imagine... but this can also be good too.

God I am rambling... another great song John.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

chapperz66

A fine song John.  Great piano playing as usual and the vocal delivery is top notch.

A riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma - as a great man once said.   :)

Paul

Ted

Quote from: Johnbee on March 26, 2024, 12:36:38 PMI hope you (and especially Ted) really enjoy this

Oh yes! Sorry I didn't see the song on the day you posted it. (I almost missed it today. I'm trying to listen to everything new on SC these days and I've fallen several days a week or more behind.) It's humbling to have inspired such a piece of music with a simple comment.

So much going on in this song. Musically, it's just a gorgeous set of chords – naive and sophisticated like some Joni Mitchell songs. Strummed on a banjo without words and they'd still be gorgeous. But this arrangement has your characteristic styles and textures. Maybe my listening habits are too narrow, but I can't think of anyone who composes in this ballpark. Really. Claude Bolling comes to mind – the jazz and classical hybrid with a prominent flute – but I barely know who he is (was); barely explored the world he occupied. I have four of his songs.

Lyrically, this seems like a continuation of the introspection that seems to be endemic in some corners of Songcrafters: Does anyone care that I write and compose songs? And if not, is it enough to do it for myself – given that my time on earth is limited? Or is it necessary to do it for myself, knowing and accepting I will never be fully understood and perhaps barely heard? The song is like a journey that begins with insecurity, and builds in confidence and resolution facing the potential void. What else is there to do?
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ray Brookes

Another cool song, John. Great melodies and harmonies. Especially like the piano.
Ray Brookes

launched

As always I've been a fan of your wonderful productions. My musical path is much different, mostly erratic and unconventional, and I love how you put things in the right way. A run on sentence but I'm keeping it!

A fine tune John!

"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Johnbee

Thanks to all the folks who checked this out and commented.

:) John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

Ella

I love your beautiful, sorrowful songs. It´s very captivating. Like I said before your singing voice is unique. So glad to hear new song from you. This could be a good song for some mysterious movie.   

the physics teacher

This should be on a Broadway musical a perfect arrangement IMHO
I do have an elektic bass and guitar, i do have an acoustic guitar. I even have a keyboard and a Roland drum set What I seem to miss is skills. So to cure my at least 40y frustration I dicovered my instrument being my voice. So I finaly had the nerve to take singing lessons and make my voice heared thanks to Songcrafters.

Blooby

I get the Steven Wilson comment with the way this builds and with the strings coming in later. I especially liked the bass in this. Very cool lines. As always, your melodic sense with the vocals draws me in.

Try not to perseverate on the comment thing. I have come to the conclusion that I can't keep up so if I post a tune, I make sure I give at least ten comments. That means some songs I am going to miss. That's my loss, but that's life. I love this site so very much, I can't fully express my gratitude to the administrators who keep the lights on, but there have been times I have felt beyond anxious over getting through everything. I just have less days like today where I can listen, and I imagine some folks are in the same boat.

I also know that we are all unique and just may not resonate with everybody. This is true with almost everybody in my terrestrial life save for two people (and I think they are humoring me most of the time).

Peace.

Blooby

Johnbee

Ella, PT & Blooby, Thanks so much!

:) JB

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!