Be The Enigma (for Ted) Original

Started by Johnbee, March 26, 2024, 12:36:38 PM

Johnbee

Be The Enigma 192
Time:
0:00
Volume:
A few tunes ago Ted told me that I was an enigma because of the deep lyrics that song had.  I took that as the deepest compliment because I like to be a bit "mysterious" in my music.  So, I thought a lot about Ted's comment while working on this tune.  I hope you (and especially Ted) really enjoy this.

Also, I've been doing a lot of listening and reviewing music from the many folks on this forum.  I've listened and commented on many people who have never once taken the time to comment on anything of mine.  I like to think I'm being the better person anyway by giving kudos to those who either don't find my music exciting enough to comment on or just don't like it.  :(

What I'm saying is I hope I make some new friends here soon.  :)  ;)

:) John B

Time goes by.  Long days
Inspired by the will to make me stronger
and drive away the fear
I looked inside my heart and found that I can see
a certain person guiding my creativity
I tell myself that I should be somebody different.  Someone more worthy.

Be the enigma you're trying hard to see
Faces and names you'll never be the enigma
you're never going to know
though all the years will never show

Time drags on.  Slow day
Nothing particularly inspiring me to tell you
There's nothing good or bad
I take in all the stimulation that is there
It's no surprise that no one cares
So I just let go, pretending if I dare
But it's so futile, cold and indifferent

Be the enigma you want them all to see
Faces and names you'll never know
It's how the story goes
but the insanity only grows

Be the enigma you're trying hard to see
Faces and names you'll never be the enigma
you're never going to know
though all the years will never show

c 2024 John Bowen Music

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

StephenM

Lyrically fantastic... such composition... such depth of expression in the lyric.  I get that...I might not comprehend them fully... but I feel as I know them...I understand the vibrations in it. 

it is a wonderful piece John... perhaps your best one yet...right out of the gate here I am 100% in love with it... and it draws me toward the speakers.  I don't know if I can pick a musical star on this.  The color in this... the hope and the desire... and wisdom.  it it blows me away...

bravo!

the song dances... the song dances... and so do I

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

karl1171

Now I've been on here a few months now I'm getting to find some members songs and styles I like, and others less so. I guess the ones I find I don't like so much, I'm less likely to view or comment on.

This is up to your usual high standards, with chord changes and basslines I could only dream of writing!

Who would you say your biggest influences are? I can perhaps hear Steely Dan in some of your songs but I reckon there are probably others I might not be familiar with

godinqc

I really liked how the song starts with piano and other instruments get into the mix later in the song ..
Really good vocals also .. I found that the song has Steven Wilson vibe to it ..
Great work.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

thetworegs

A beautiful intro piano and throughout loving the strings when they arrive good lyrics and a well put together track throughout.... liking your choice of instruments throughly enjoyed on this sunny afternoon in Yorkshire....yes I said sunny its not raining  ;D

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Farrell Jackson

I like how the song builds John. It starts with piano and voice but continues to add instruments in key places that hold my interest to the very end. The strings and bass are exceptional. I love the perfect vocal harmonies on the last verse. The lyrics are enigmatic. At first I thought it was about a lost love or questioning one's faith or someone struggling with life in general. I'm still not sure if it's about any of those. So the title, Enigma, fits the mystery of the song perfectly. Nicely done! 
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

kenny mac

This is an excellent composition.
Everything sits so well in the mix.
Lyrics are great.
Lovely string work.
Fabulous.

SteveB

JohnB, again, this is purely my own opinion, and I am listening via a very poor audio set up. But I think the first part of the song with just piano and vox works better. Though all of it is a deftly-crafted piece worthy of attention. Well done.  8)
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

AndyR

Cool song :)

I loved the solo voice and piano. And then (I was typing elsewhere) suddenly the arrangement blossomed and by the end it was "Wow!"
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1