Caution To The Wind

Started by Ray Brookes, March 17, 2024, 02:45:22 PM

kenny mac

What a great song.
Love the Harmonies at the start,what effect are they through?
Excellent piano work as well.
Great lyrics and production.
I'm a fan .

Ray Brookes

Quote from: kenny mac on March 20, 2024, 01:21:11 PMLove the Harmonies at the start,what effect are they through?

Thanks for the kind words, Kenny. For the opening harmony sequence I used a touch of stereo delay and a small slice of chorus; mostly to hide my crap vocals.
Ray Brookes

Ted

The title of this song is such a fantastic misdirection. I expected a theme of "Woowee! I'm livin' a high-risk lifestyle! I'm such a rebel! I'm drinking Pepsi instead of Coke!" And, lemmetellya, I'm so tired of that cliché. I should have known better. This is Ray Brookes. And this song is more rebellious than any song that follows that trope.

Quote from: Ray Brookes on March 17, 2024, 02:45:22 PMSomehow stigmatised
Ostracised, eclipsed and pinned

Real human rebellion isn't pushing softly at the boundaries of acceptable behavior (drinking Pepsi instead of Coke!). It's risking social death – being shunned by your family and peers, by those with whom you have invested your identity and social capital. Humans are terribly dependent on social connection. And social institutions – governments, religions, families, clans, tribes – exploit that to control us. This is the sadness, fear, loneliness, and confinement that I sense in this song.

The music and harmonies are beautiful. Your voice harmonizing with itself has a fantastic Baroque tension. There's a Joni Mitchell-esque quality to the piano – which suits the theme, along with the desire to escape on a river. I don't suppose you intended that, but it wouldn't lessen the song if you had.

Just a beautiful song.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

AndyR

Stunning stuff.

This is superb.

OK, I gotta go write some songs now!  ;D
recorder