Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade Of Pale by JP Girbon and Cornee de Boer

Started by the physics teacher, March 17, 2024, 10:32:06 AM

the physics teacher

JP Girbon instruments Whiter shade of pale sung by Cornee
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Again many thanks to Jean Pierre who was so kind to send me his instrumental track of this song wich he plays so brilliantly.

My singing teacher told me to wait for another training session on my vocals but I could not wait any longer, it had to come out.
The High note A-4 is a tough one but it is what it is......next!!!!!!

Oh I added some realtime effects in audacity chorus reverb and compression.

Corné
I do have an elektic bass and guitar, i do have an acoustic guitar. I even have a keyboard and a Roland drum set What I seem to miss is skills. So to cure my at least 40y frustration I dicovered my instrument being my voice. So I finaly had the nerve to take singing lessons and make my voice heared thanks to Songcrafters.

StephenM

Bandlab propose de très bons effets vocaux, même un réglage automatique... et je ne dis pas que vous en avez besoin... mais plutôt comme une autre option. J'aime globalement mieux les effets Bandlab (logiciel gratuit) qu'Audacity et j'utilisais Bandlab pour le mixage exclusivement... l'année dernière environ, même si j'utilise plutôt Audacity car j'aime certaines choses comme la facilité de prise en main. des pistes enregistrées à faible volume et les normaliser à des niveaux plus forts... ce n'est pas si facile dans bandlab.
Cependant, ce qui est vraiment décevant, c'est que lorsque je prends des morceaux que j'ai traités sur bandlab et que je les amène à Audacity, je trouve qu'ils ne se synchronisent pas correctement et je dois essayer de les déplacer pour les adapter au timing... je ne sais pas pourquoi. J'ai donc arrêté de traiter les voix dans Bandlab, puis de les importer dans Audacity.
ce que j'ai fait, c'est qu'après avoir écouté JP parler des plug-ins CLA, j'ai fini par obtenir un abonnement pour le plug-in Waves... bien sûr, c'est 25 dollars par mois (halètement)... mais il y a tellement de choses avec lesquelles jouer .. Je les adore et les trucs CLA rendent vraiment le traitement de ma batterie acoustique beaucoup plus facile et meilleur.
Je ne sais pas si tout cela aide...

maintenant à cet enregistrement... JP est un maître et j'adore le slide. Il peut traiter tellement de musique si rapidement et à un très haut niveau... il sait ce qu'il fait... et il semble être très libre de partager avec tous ceux qui le veulent et j'aime ça chez lui....
Je suis contente que tu puisses chanter ces chansons qui sont précieuses... ça sonne bien....

Bandlab has some really great vocals effects even some auto tune... and I am not saying you need any of them... but more as another option.  I like Bandlab (free software) effects overall better than Audacity and I used to use Bandlab for mixing exclusively... the last year or so though I have been pretty much using Audacity as I like some things like how easy it is to take really low volume recorded tracks and normalize them to stronger levels... that isn't so easy in bandlab. 
However a real bummer is when I take tracks that I have processed on bandlab and bring them to audacity I find they don't synch properly and I have to try and move them to fit the timing... not sure why this is... so I stopped processing vocals in bandlab and then bringing them into Audacity..
what I did is after listening to JP speak about CLA plug ins I ended up getting a subscription for the Waves plug ins... sure, it's 25 dollars a month (gasp)... but there is so much to play with ... I love them and the CLA stuff really makes processing my acoustic drums much easier and better.
I don't know if any of this helps...

now to this recording... JP is a master and I love the slide.  He can process so much music so quick and at a very high level... he knows what he is doing... and he seems to be very free with sharing with everyone who wants to and I love that about him....
I am glad you get to sing these songs that are precious... it sounds good....

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Jean Pierre

A BICYCLETTE VERSION BAROUH without plug ins
Time:
Volume:
QuoteBandlab propose de très bons effets vocaux, même un réglage automatique... et je ne dis pas que vous en avez besoin...
I completely agree with Stephen... your voice processing doesn't seem to be optimal.
I'm not familiar with Bandlab ...but I'd recommend Reaper and its fantastic plug-ins, which are freely available; an "amateur" license is very reasonably priced and not even compulsory.

here's an example with an excerpt from the latest piece I'm working on

It's Yves Montant's song "A bicyclette".

-the first extract is the raw voice without processing

the second extract is the same with a Reaper effect chain

...hear on the next message I can't embed a second player in this message?

https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=196209

the effect chain I use is as follows

-Reafir, a dynamic subtraction equalizer to be used with care, very powerful
- Reaverb a reverb I use with a Hall-type convolution (Taj Mahal Deep)

- Voxformer, a compressor from Voxengo (free)
- JS exciter from Reaper , an enhancer

..........This is my base, which I use all the time to start with; afterwards, of course, a few wave software packages are sometimes added, ...but they are not free.

Of course, you need a decent microphone to start with, but a SM 58 can do the trick just fine.
(for my part, I'm now using a Rgode NT1 mic.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

Jean Pierre

A BICYCLETTE VERSION BAROUH-002
Time:
Volume:
hear is the second extract with REAPER plug ins chain

...et pour completer à propos de Reaper et des plug ins gratuit qui sont inclus, il existe maintenant une version par Tukan avec une regonomie et une presentation plus agreable

voir cette video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SlOsDf1T4c
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Zoltan

To be frank (Hi! I'm Frank) i was slightly worried how this would go.

It's not that i lack faith in JP, or PT. It's just that i've heard so many takes on this song and they're most often a bit bland.

This one has a fragile and somewhat pained feel to it which makes it special. There's no rock bravado in sight (which actually is the whole point of the best cover version i've heard).

As for Bandlab, Audacity and Reaper. All have their uses, but if one is willing to spend some time with it. Reaper is the best. It's the most stable, efficient and really doesn't have any real limits to it.

It comes with stock plugins that are good enough to make professional recordings. What they lack are fancy user interfaces. That's the main reason many people use other plugins.

The CLA plugins are yet another thing. They often do more stuff at "one stroke" and are usually easy to understand so they are a faster way to better results. Still there's hardly anything that Reaper stock plugins couldn't do.

In real world use i'm sure that Reaper will run those plugins (CLA and others) better than say Audacity.

I do understand the love towards Audacity too, but when there's an option like Reaper it feels like a no brainer.

End of fanboy rant :)

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Jean Pierre

Thank you Zoltan for taking part in this debate, even though it's not our place.

but to respond to your comment
[What they lack are fancy user interfaces. That's the main reason many people use other plugins.
[/quote]

...that's exactly right... the interface of Reaper's native plug-ins is rather austere, and Takan's work (aka Takan) is to be commended, especially as they're all free... and much more attractive in their new clothes...

the physics teacher

This is nice such a dicussion, thank you JP,Stephen and Zoltan for all your input it is much appreaciated
I will hopefully have a singing lesson on wednesday 20 march 2024 and will ask my teacher what I can do better.
Actually how I can sing  these sentences better without the pained sound Zoltan ;D  the note is A4 on the keyboard.
    When we called out for another drink
    And so it was that later

JP offered me to do some mixing and indeed I am a newbie in the mixing field and will shurely try the reaper DAW.
    I hope to send you a raw file on the 21st JP again thanks for the possibility to sing along with your tracks.
    Your mix on the bicyclette sound very nice indeed.
I do have an elektic bass and guitar, i do have an acoustic guitar. I even have a keyboard and a Roland drum set What I seem to miss is skills. So to cure my at least 40y frustration I dicovered my instrument being my voice. So I finaly had the nerve to take singing lessons and make my voice heared thanks to Songcrafters.

Ted

I'll digress from the discussion of vocal processing just to say that the dobro sounds fantastic on this. When this popped up, my first thought, frankly, was "Not another one!" But the dobro brought something unexpected to this old tune. Okay. Carry on...
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac