Is someone here trying to make it?

Started by Zoltan, March 17, 2024, 06:37:43 AM

Zoltan

An ugly son-in-law of a sister topic inspired by the one Ted started...

Is someone here trying to make it?

In any shape, or form. As a solo artist, songwriter etc.

At what stage are you at? How long have you been doing it? How important it is to you?
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

StephenM

I am.... trying to make it through today... and if I arrive at tomorrow I will repeat the former.
Yes... I am trying to make it!  Stage or no stage, amp or no amp, drums or no drums, crowd or no crowd, strings or keys, speakers or headphones, roof or no roof,

yes... tryn to make it. 

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Ray Brookes

Yeah me! I wanna form a boy band, post a video on Youtube then embark on a world tour. The fact that I turn 70 this year is a minor setback.
Ray Brookes

Bluesberry

Quote from: Ray Brookes on March 17, 2024, 02:14:48 PMYeah me! I wanna form a boy band, post a video on Youtube then embark on a world tour. The fact that I turn 70 this year is a minor setback.
Yoy still have your boyish good looks...there is still that....

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

SteveB

Well given that I first saw light of day before Elvis had a hit record in the U.K., I'm still hoping that 'Cardigan Rock' will somehow imprint itself on the public consciousness. Obviously there will need to be allowances for the performers and fans once the phenomenon has reached Taylor Swift levels - eg: No gig to last beyond 9pm. Sanatogen tablets and Horlicks/malted milk available in the dressing room. Groupies must have their own zimmer-frames etc. It could be a good scene.  8)
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Mike_S

I like the idea that older people could make it... it's a romantic - if extremely unlikely - idea. How cool would it be for one or two oldies to knock a few of those young, sexy things off their perches. Like that old Seasick Steve guy or something like that. Older people can rock... damn we are living (just about  ;D ) proof!!

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Zoltan

Quote from: Ray Brookes on March 17, 2024, 02:14:48 PMYeah me! I wanna form a boy band, post a video on Youtube then embark on a world tour. The fact that I turn 70 this year is a minor setback.

Making such a bold statement... Even if done with a tongue in cheek deserves a proper evaluation.

For all i know Ray could very well be an old pro. Based on the songs he makes it wouldn't surprise me one bit. He could easily have a whole catalog of recorded material. Maybe some studio dates for other people too. Playing live and living the life. All done before the kangoroo farm business got the best of him and he thought to call it quits.

If i had to make a bet, i'd say Ray has been gigging in his life. More than twice. Or are you a late bloomer? You don't strike me as a bedroom guitarist.

As for that boy band thing. I've never heard a song of yours that's dumbed down enough. There's way too much finesse. Not to say that boy bands don't have songs that are composed through and through, but i'm sure we all agree that the songs are playing to different strenghts.

I don't doubt that you wouldn't be able to make such songs, but that's the first place to start. Dumbing down the songwriting and making 'em bangers.

As for the boyish good looks. You could always blame genetics. If everything else fails you could do the 4 Non-Blondes / Millie Vanilli thing. Get other people to jump around the stage wearing baggy clothes. You could even loan them your own.

I hope this helps :)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Zoltan

Quote from: SteveB on March 17, 2024, 03:06:36 PMNo gig to last beyond 9pm. Sanatogen tablets and Horlicks/malted milk available in the dressing room. Groupies must have their own zimmer-frames etc. It could be a good scene

You're grouping together groupies and not wanting to stay up late. I think that either one has to go :)

Groupies with zimmer-frames and bad sleeping habits could ruin you...
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Farrell Jackson

To weigh in on this subject; (I actually don't look at the scales anymore). I've had my night in the moon now I'm having my day in the sun. It's difficult staying awake past 10 pm. So gigging at the old folks home would have to suffice. Setting up a tour should be easy because there are a lot of them nowadays and the audience is captive. I would need a wig to cover my gray hair, a make up artist to make me look like a member of KISS, and a personal trainer so I could fit into some spandex. To summarize; all that seems like too much work. So I'll just keep hanging out in my home studio and pretend....no I'm not trying to make it because I'm already there, lol!   
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Hilary

We have a rescue dog and his nickname is Feral Jackson.

I say you've made it Farrell  :)
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça