Do people in your life care that you write songs? (via Reddit)

Started by Ted, March 15, 2024, 02:42:21 AM

Ted

Quote from: Mike_S on March 22, 2024, 04:37:06 AMMaybe the other people in our lives need some kind of support group!  ;D

Someone should start a nonprofit:

The International Association of People Who Don't Give A Shit About Their Partner's Music

I sounds like it would be huge! Millions of members. You pay a monthly fee, and you are absolved of any guilt. The money would go towards special grants and programs to buy pedals and recording gear for musicians and songwriters whose partners don't give a shit.

"Honey, would you like to hear my new song?"

"No thanks." (Shows her membership card.)

"No. Thank you!"
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ted

Conversely:

Quote from: Ted on March 22, 2024, 05:57:34 AM"Honey, would you like to hear my new song?"

"No thanks." (Shows her membership card.)

"Looks like your membership has lapsed, Honey. Now sit down and listen to this little tune I just made up."

"Uuuhhh... Wait!" (Pulls out her phone and renews her membership immediately.)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Johnbee

Quote from: Mike_S on March 22, 2024, 04:37:06 AMMaybe the other people in our lives need some kind of support group!  ;D

Maybe we need some kind of support group! ;)
:) JB

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

chapperz66

Quote from: Johnbee on March 22, 2024, 08:57:39 AM

I thought that Songcrafters was a kind of support group.

StephenM

Quote from: chapperz66 on March 23, 2024, 02:57:18 AMI thought that Songcrafters was a kind of support group

instigation group.... keep the fires burnin .....

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

StephenM

I thought this was a stunning help to poor saps like me....
I found it on the internet... it must be true...

In 2006 a high school English teacher asked students to write a famous author and ask for advice. Kurt Vonnegut was the only one to respond - and his response is magnificent:
 "Dear Xavier High School, and Ms. Lockwood, and Messrs Perin, McFeely, Batten, Maurer and Congiusta:
I thank you for your friendly letters. You sure know how to cheer up a really old geezer (84) in his sunset years. I don't make public appearances any more because I now resemble nothing so much as an iguana.
What I had to say to you, moreover, would not take long, to wit: Practice any art, music, singing, dancing, acting, drawing, painting, sculpting, poetry, fiction, essays, reportage, no matter how well or badly, not to get money and fame, but to experience becoming, to find out what's inside you, to make your soul grow.
Seriously! I mean starting right now, do art and do it for the rest of your lives. Draw a funny or nice picture of Ms. Lockwood, and give it to her. Dance home after school, and sing in the shower and on and on. Make a face in your mashed potatoes. Pretend you're Count Dracula.
Here's an assignment for tonight, and I hope Ms. Lockwood will flunk you if you don't do it: Write a six line poem, about anything, but rhymed. No fair tennis without a net. Make it as good as you possibly can. But don't tell anybody what you're doing. Don't show it or recite it to anybody, not even your girlfriend or parents or whatever, or Ms. Lockwood. OK?
Tear it up into teeny-weeny pieces, and discard them into widely separated trash receptacals. You will find that you have already been gloriously rewarded for your poem. You have experienced becoming, learned a lot more about what's inside you, and you have made your soul grow.
God bless you all!"
Kurt Vonnegut

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

Mike_S

Quote from: StephenM on March 26, 2024, 07:34:15 AMI thought this was a stunning help to poor saps like me....
I found it on the internet... it must be true...

In 2006 a high school English teacher asked students to write a famous author and ask for advice. Kurt Vonnegut was the only one to respond - and his response is magnificent:
 "Dear Xavier High School, and Ms. Lockwood, and Messrs Perin, McFeely, Batten, Maurer and Congiusta:
I thank you for your friendly letters. You sure know how to cheer up a really old geezer (84) in his sunset years. I don't make public appearances any more because I now resemble nothing so much as an iguana.
What I had to say to you, moreover, would not take long, to wit: Practice any art, music, singing, dancing, acting, drawing, painting, sculpting, poetry, fiction, essays, reportage, no matter how well or badly, not to get money and fame, but to experience becoming, to find out what's inside you, to make your soul grow.
Seriously! I mean starting right now, do art and do it for the rest of your lives. Draw a funny or nice picture of Ms. Lockwood, and give it to her. Dance home after school, and sing in the shower and on and on. Make a face in your mashed potatoes. Pretend you're Count Dracula.
Here's an assignment for tonight, and I hope Ms. Lockwood will flunk you if you don't do it: Write a six line poem, about anything, but rhymed. No fair tennis without a net. Make it as good as you possibly can. But don't tell anybody what you're doing. Don't show it or recite it to anybody, not even your girlfriend or parents or whatever, or Ms. Lockwood. OK?
Tear it up into teeny-weeny pieces, and discard them into widely separated trash receptacals. You will find that you have already been gloriously rewarded for your poem. You have experienced becoming, learned a lot more about what's inside you, and you have made your soul grow.
God bless you all!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Nice advice. It makes me think of my wife who sometimes like to do arts and crafts. I asked why she did not try painting and she said "it's because I am no good at drawing or painting" I told her it didn't matter how good she was. But she didn't do it. Think I will remind her again. It's all about the journey.

Mike

recorder
iPad GarageBand

bruno

recorder
Boss BR-1600

StephenM

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

Johnbee

Quote from: chapperz66 on March 23, 2024, 02:57:18 AM
Quote from: Johnbee on March 22, 2024, 08:57:39 AM

I thought that Songcrafters was a kind of support group.

I didn't mean that kind of support group.  ;)

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!