There is a Light That Never Goes Out - Smiths cover for Lost in 23 fest

Started by ODH, March 13, 2024, 03:06:14 PM

ODH

Light That
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Lost_in_2023 (banner image missing)

For Andy Rourke, bass player of the Smiths.

There are ten tracks, eight of which are played on the acoustic guitar (Ibanez Talman), along with a GB drums and a vocal. Recorded on the iPhone onboard mic.  One of the guitar tracks is put through a pitch transposer (octave down) to make the bass track (and double tracked without modification).
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

TPB

Very nice not familiar with the song sounds great will need to check them out
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

StephenM

well... I don't know this song... but I know I really love your vocals on this... and also all the music as well... beautiful... and full of that sort of passion that doesn't come often. 

rare...gem. 

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Oldrottenhead

Magic, one of my favourite songs ever written. great version.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

StephenM

I just cannot get enough of your voice on this... the music is great as well...

this is so good

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Pete C

It's good to see a tribute to Andy Rourke - he did some brilliant bass lines for the Smiths and it's a shame he didn't get the same acclaim as Marr and Morrisey. This is a lovely version of this classic (one of many Smiths' classics!)

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Mike_S

Lovely Nick, you did great with this. Some great guitar parts in there. That is really impressive work on an iphone, sounds great. I am with ORH... this is among my fave ever songs.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

ODH

Quote from: Mike_S on March 17, 2024, 09:31:14 AMSome great guitar parts in there.

I am with ORH... this is among my fave ever songs.

Mike

Thanks Mike and everyone. Likewise one of my favourites too. The soundtrack to my I'll-feted time in Bournemouth on the Costa-del-dole in 1987.

When I unpicked the song though I was surprised how simple the guitar is, only five chords - Dm, Fmaj7, C, Am7 and G on open tuning (I had the capo on the third fret, purely because that's how I left it last time I played it and I couldn't be arsed to change it. Seemed to work alright). I also couldn't be bothered to go and get any other instruments, hence eight acoustic tracks even including bass.

When I was doing this the original seemed rediculously fast, but now my version sounds a bit too slow.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Blooby

I had a girlfriend back in the day who loved The Smiths, but I had my head up my arse with jazz and epic prog at the time. I need to dig into their catalog.

Super enjoyable listen. I quickly forgot I was listening to Songcrafters and just got lost in it.

Question: did you get the Talman with the Lipstick pickups?  Was always intrigued with those.

Peace.

Blooby

Ted

I was never a fan of Morrissey's voice and style – to the point of being closed minded, probably. Even though I wasn't familiar with this song, I probably could have ID'd as a Smiths song. But you've attenuated the Morrisseyishness, and I really like it. You've bumped the Smiths up one or two places in my list of artists who deserve to be reconsidered.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac