AMBALABA,...a maurician song

Started by Jean Pierre, March 13, 2024, 09:27:53 AM

Jean Pierre

AMBALLABA RENDER mp3-001
Time:
0:00
Volume:
So my friends, I continue my virtual journeys in my attic home studio ;D

back to Mauritius (yes, a while ago I made a foray there with a song by Michel Bavajee aka Zulu...), this time with a song by Claudio Veeraragoo, covered in French by Maxime Leforestier
Claudio Veeraragoo is a Mauritian sega singer.
Sega is the major musical genre of the Mascarene Islands: Mauritius, Reunion and Rodrigues, as well as the Seychelles, Agaléga, Saint-Brandon, the Chagos Islands and other Indian Ocean islands.
I had a lot of trouble making this song, because the rhythm is not easy to "catch" (ternary rhythm with passages in binary).

for the instruments I used a few plug ins (free) that a friend advised me to use

- for the bass VSTi Ample Bass P lite from Ample Sound

- for the Titanic 200 GM-GS bandoneon, a soundfont bank

- for the Numa player electric piano
https://www.studiologic-music.com/products/numaplayer/

- for the Melodica, I didn't use my real Melodica but an excellent soudfont Melodica soundfont from Musical Artifact
https://musical-artifacts.com/artifacts?tags=melodica
this soundfont sounds just like my real Melodica (minus the breath, though...), but you can play it on a midi keyboard, which is more practical.

remember, all these plus ins are...free!

..only my Nylon Takamine Hirade guitar is a "real" instrument (..and voices, of course  ;)

PS
the song is in Mauritian Creole I'll put the lyrics up tomorrow

PS2 Ambalaba is a town on the island of madagascar? we'll ask Ted for confirmation.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

the physics teacher

This swings big time. JP
I do have an elektic bass and guitar, i do have an acoustic guitar. I even have a keyboard and a Roland drum set What I seem to miss is skills. So to cure my at least 40y frustration I dicovered my instrument being my voice. So I finaly had the nerve to take singing lessons and make my voice heared thanks to Songcrafters.

Jean Pierre

UP DATE WITH VIDEO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GytlpyW1FcU

this cover is a tribute to

-the Mauritian Sega singer Claudio Veeraragoo
Sega is the major musical genre of the Mascarene Islands: Mauritius, Reunion and Rodrigues, as well as the Seychelles, Agaléga, Saint-Brandon, the Chagos Islands and others in the Indian Ocean.

- the mauritian painter Jacque Baissac alias VACO
the clip's illustrations are taken from his large-scale fresco "Anbalaba" by Mauritian painter VACO, in Baie du Cap.
Vaco is died fevrier 2023

if you want to know more about vaco's painting here
https://kreolmagazine.com/culture/art/vaco-la-veritable-peinture-mauricienne/
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

StephenM

this is fun... great stuff... and really making me dance.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Groundy

Nice one, JP, thank you for the message my friend.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Pete C

This sounds fantastic and very professional. Just reminds me of the type of African-influenced music you hear on holiday in France. I can just imagine myself sat at a cafe with a glass of pastis !

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Jean Pierre

thank you guys

QuoteI can just imagine myself sat at a cafe with a glass of pastis !

yes Pete, it's almost spring and pastis will once again be filling the glasses on café terraces, in the sunshine, hmmm...welcome back to france!

Mike_S

Lovely JP... I can see that the tempo is a tricky one, but you seem to have the feel perfectly. It's a kind of strange (but beautiful) start / stop feel. Excellent work on a genre we don't hear much

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ted

Where are those lyrics that you promised?

Simply listening to this, I never would have guessed that this is a Mauritian song. It sounds very Latin American to me – Cuban or maybe Brazilian.

Mauritius is a fascinating place. Have you been there? I've been twice – it's a nearby neighbor. A flight to Mauritius costs about as much as a short domestic flight to, say Nosy Boraha (a.k.a. Ile Sainte Marie). Most people speak Kreol, French, or English seemingly interchangeably. It's very developed, compared to every other African country I've every visited (and I've visited a few).

In spite of its small size, there are distinct cultures on the island. The southern is more Sub-Saharan African (especially Malagasy) descendants of enslaved people. The northern part is more South Asian and Hindu descendants of indentured laborers who were conned into coming after slavery was abolished by the British. Mauritius was used as a laboratory to create a technically-not-slavery form of entrapping cheap labor to work on plantations.

Anyway: Keep exploring the music of Mauritius.

I've been meaning to write something – a song, an essay, both – about my visit to Aapravasi Ghat - UNESCO World Heritage Centre in Mauritius. Part of me died that day – the part that still believed unchecked capitalism didn't inevitably turn the rich into monsters.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

thetworegs

This got me up and running this morning excellent

If Life is a dream then use your imagination