Music Magazine/Webzine/Blog Reviews

Started by Bosko Schwartz, June 30, 2009, 04:06:16 PM

Bosko Schwartz

As an indie artist with no label and zero exposure :-[, about to self-release my debut album, and trying to spread the word about it a little bit at a time, I think a great way to gain easy exposure would be to get reviewed in music magazines, webzines, and blogs.  However, I can't seem to find any info on who takes submissions and how to submit my music to any individual source.

Does anyone have a sort of comprehensive list of places that will review new music and how one would submit their work for review?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any information! ;D
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Greeny

This is a tricky one - there are so many places on the web that can give you exposure and PR (if you work the system), but converting that into actual sales / downloads is the hard part. I've seen a lot of crap out there where people try to take advantage of folks like us. The worst example seems to be a thing called Sellaband, where you basically beg everyone you know (and then strangers) to take a 'share' in your future profits. When you have $50,000 of sponsorship, they'll make and release the album for you. Yeah... I'd get someone an album out for that! I may be overly cautious, but it seems like a no-lose con (for them, anyway!). I also may have been put off it because a musician I know and have played with has been plugging away at it for almost 2 years. And sadly, he's a total c*nt (and I don't use that word lightly).

What you need is an angle. I work in advertising, and we do a lot of viral work. But viral only works with a 'hook'... and it needs to be a VERY strong one for it to go global / stellar. A clever promo video on YouTube would do that if it had something people wanted to share in it. It's the way to get attention, and to get people to do ALL of your hard work for you - i.e. spread the word widely and for free.

There are so many sites where you can post your album for paid downloads, but without driving traffic to them, nobody will know they exist.

You should do a lot of blogging yourself, but pick and choose where you do it. Myspace seems to be a cluttered waste of time in that respect. Seek out the interesting and more niche music / style / fashion sites. But make sure you don't come across as only trying to sell your music.

Hang on... how about blogging about how hard it is to get exposure for a self-made album?! There's a subtle difference, lol.

Sorry - that's not much help. But it's because I'd like to do the same, and haven't cracked the secret code yet...  :)

Go for it though - you have the songs and the talent, and that's a whole lot more than 90% of the crap we get fed these days.

Bosko Schwartz

A lot of interesting thoughts here, Tim.  You've definitely got me thinking!

And it did help!

Thanks!!! ;D
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy