Never Too Late To Try

Started by Ray Brookes, March 07, 2024, 11:40:30 AM

Ray Brookes

never too late to try
Time:
0:00
Volume:

The most difficult part of recording this song was the acoustic guitar section at the beginning. That 'tapping' technique is not a style I was brought up with so it was a bit of a challenge. Anyhow, never too late to try ....

I lay amongst bikinied babes
And fell asleep on the beach
I dreamed I stood next to Martin
Luther King as he gave his speech
When I awoke the girls had gone
My eyes wet; my throat was dry
I knew I'd never dream again
But I knew I had to try.

A so-called influencer
Threw me a disparaging look
She had all the silicone implants
And lips like Donald Duck
She paused for a second with the selfies
And I caught her stupid eye
I said "Your use-by date is almost done,
Soon time to wave goodbye."

Chaos coming down the trail
None of us can stop this
Red, white, black and pale steeds
The horsemen of the apocalypse
Leave me here with rum and beer
I'll watch the world go by
Maybe I'll never be like I was
But never too late to try.
Ray Brookes

Bluesberry

WwOW.......what a ride....lyrically so fine....psychedelic almost....sweet music.....and tapping......are we allowed to do that kind of thing at our age? love the ending...love it....epic man....great song

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

StephenM

If I hadn't read the lyrics first I would not have known what this is about...that opening guitar is brilliant... way to go on that alone Ray and i will listen to this a hundred times... but the production of this is off the charts... I personally think this beats some of Dire Straits productions no kidding

this gets over quick but it is off the charts in energy... this is as good as about anything I ever heard anywhere by anybody...whew..

that stomping rhythm makes me want to jump and shout like the old time barn dances on saturday nights... whoop, whoop...
but then there are those lyrics.. brilliant.. I loved all of them but especially this
"She had all the silicone implants
And lips like Donald Duck"
I don't get those huge silicon butts and lips.. crazy... I just don't...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Johnbee

The guitar work is effective.  The lyrics are a reminder that we'll all get old and ugly(er) in time.
Another nice one, Ray.

:) John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

hardlock

Love it! This song has it all; drive, story, performance, production, and that hook! - BUT, it's not long enough... Just getting into that great lead and....  ???  8)
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

Blooby

This is ridiculously good. So much to like here but really loved the piano/string interlude. Reminded me of those solo spots in "South Side of the Sky" by Yes.

Blooby

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

Wow, that tapping technique on the acoustic, I wouldn't even attempt haha.. Very impressive Ray. Not just that, the whole track.
It's fantastic the way the song changes styles, slow, fast, quiet , loud. I love the part around 2.10 that sounds like fleetwood Mac. Brilliant guitar work. Perfect music and production skills, the lyrics are great!
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

Farrell Jackson

That is a some real cool acoustic tapping Ray!!!! Not an easy thing to do, at least not for me, but you make it sound like a pro. Great production dynamics and the harmonies are to die for. Excellent vocals and words, top notch man!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Ron D Bowes

What a great riff! Worth the effort Ray. You have to push the envelope sometimes. Great piano too. Nice changes, tasty lead on the outro. Super track!

kenny mac

What a song ,that technique on the guitar is amazing.
The chaos coming part is great the 
Way it calms down then explodes with energy and that lead guitar tone is brilliant.
Superb song.