Whipporwill Call (It's Time To Fall)

Started by StephenM, March 02, 2024, 03:39:33 PM

StephenM

Quote from: Ted on March 04, 2024, 06:54:36 AM
Quote from: StephenM on March 04, 2024, 05:04:19 AManother thing I love about SC is the things I learn... I may have heard this before Ted..

Wait. So what does the whip-poor-will call mean to you? I assumed that "omen of death" (i.e. societal breakdown and decay) was exactly what you meant. It fits the theme of the song.

when i was a kid we did these calls with our hands, actually to be accurate would be more of a morning dove but we always called them Whipporwill... i can still make them... we would signal each other as we ran at distances in the woods.. we pretended to be this and that.  Usually something was chasing us that we were trying to outsmart, to survive... thank God it was never for real... sometimes we would have a series of these calls that meant it was time to fall... to stay put etc...
In the end I liked the rhyming of the chourus and the omen was coincidental although I think it fits perfect...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Pete C

I was intrigued by the title and had to google what a Whipporwill is ( should have just read the comments which explain it  :-[ )

Really good catchy song!

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Bluesberry

There we go......way to go.......giddy up and go........I have to go...but not before I give this a deep listen......absolutely flipping love this.....yes, serious song....but the joy is still there.......creative joy......it's like an apocyloptimist feeling going down..........shut your mouth...this is damn good dude.....we are going to make it brother...I feel that deep down

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

StephenM

Quote from: Bluesberry on March 06, 2024, 11:31:41 AMThere we go......way to go.......giddy up and go........I have to go...but not before I give this a deep listen......absolutely flipping love this.....yes, serious song....but the joy is still there.......creative joy......it's like an apocyloptimist feeling going down..........shut your mouth...this is damn good dude.....we are going to make it brother...I feel that deep down

Love wins sir... no matter what everyone is doing or saying or portraying... I want that.. thank you very much my Canada friend for your incredible comments and energy here on the site!   yes... I want to be an example of love... I ain't enough.. but I want to be.  (looking up and shouting it toward heaven.) 

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Ted

Quote from: Bluesberry on March 06, 2024, 11:31:41 AM... apocyloptimist...

How have I never heard this word before?

QuoteApocaloptimist
Someone who knows it's all going to shit, but still thinks it will turn out OK.

It led me to this article, which really resonates with me:

Apocaloptimism

Quote from: Oliver BurkemanThe apocaloptimist can volunteer to help clean up a polluted canal, or rebuild homes damaged by a natural disaster, without first demanding to know whether she's "making any difference", in an ultimate or planet-wide sense, but simply because it needs doing. She need not pick a side in disputes about tactics – between, say, the civil disobedience of Extinction Rebellion, versus research into bioengineering solutions – because she can follow where her skills and energies lead her, freed from the need to feel confident that she's chosen the best path, because she knows that's unknowable. The environmental activist Derrick Jensen vividly captures the bracing sense of possibility that can result from moving past this internal demand for hope: "One of the good things about everything being so fucked up," he has written, "is that no matter where you look there is good work to be done."

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

SteveB

Er, wow! SteveM. I want to be in the mosh-pit and hear this played live!! This is an absolute stormer – even in mono you can sense the respective musical elements taking their rightful positions: Phil Spector would have been a fan – and the vibe is just overwhelming. I promise that when I have my stereo speakers up and running that I'm coming back to this. And it shows that these BOSS recorders can still kick ass. Well done.  8)
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon