The Distant Choir - a Pipes and chapperz original

Started by chapperz66, March 02, 2024, 11:12:28 AM

chapperz66

05 - CC Inventive - Distant Choir
Time:
0:00
Volume:
A new song from the CC Inventive

This a song that Nick and I put together.  This started off as a way to explore a new extension that I got for Omnisphere (a soft synth), called Twisted Trees.  It's based on mangled samples of hitting bits of wood. I added a few instruments oboes, cor anglais, bassoon and strings and lots of percussion.  Oh and a contrabass clarinet - who knew that such things existed?  Nick sent me 4 tracks of vocals which took things off to a new dimension.  A dimension that is maybe quite hard to categorise.  Hypnotic tribal maybe?

We are very pleased with this.

I will post a wav file on Soundcloud in case anybody wants to hear it at a higher quality.

Paul Chapman

The Distant Choir

A blanket draped over hides the constant shivers
folly after folly as crapey skin withers
I wish my bones didn't make that sound
Have I found out who I am this time around

Dreams are so far, so far away, sings the distant choir

The whites of my eyes are so bloodshot red
and slippers and shoes are lost under my bed
The wills, powers and all my desires
fail to re-kindle this amber-less fire

(Choir)

My dreams

It is what it is in suspicious towers
as grace becomes me in my final hours

(Vocalizing)
So distant - so

https://soundcloud.com/paul-chapman-24/a-distant-choir?si=1931cd2af58e402ab454c646549004c9&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

I'm glad I'm first to comment on this. What a fantastic song, it has an unsettling vibe to it, and definitely is in a genre of its own. Unique but great.
Some of the vocals and style reminded me of some of David Bowie's work.
I've got to say the music is brilliant. I love the synths from omnisphete.
Love the woodwinds, flutes and percussion. Pipes vocals are great and it's a great collaboration.
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

StephenM

yeah, this is great... I love your exploring and to be fair I think this would make an excellent track to play during a show where exploration is happening... there is drama and intrigue.  There is concern, a bit of worry.  There is a plodding along the deep cave kind of feel... but it does lead one to believe there is gold there and the song clearly is golden.

Superb work by 2 stellar talents... Superb.. I will be back for more.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

StephenM

dreams are so far.... so far.... away. so far.... away... AHhhhhhhhh

this is so great... so wonderful... it is what it is.

suspicious towers?  a distant.... the chanting is so healing... so wonderful

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

Ted

This one confounds expectations several ways. In particular, I was expecting a hard landing the word "choir." And the soft landing was a surprise every single time.

There's science fiction feel to this. Like when a composer has to create a song that that doesn't quite sound like any particular earthly musical tradition, but it can't be too alien or it won't touch the audience's emotions in the desired way. In this case, very somber and ritualistic, full of danger and trepidation.

Also...

Quote from: chapperz66 on March 02, 2024, 11:12:28 AMI wish my bones didn't make that sound

What a line!

Great original work, you aliens.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Farrell Jackson

This is a very unique song that's in a category by itself. That contrabass clarinet sounds so cool. The percussion gives the song a sense of urgency. Great use of the soft synth Paul and Pipes vocals/lyrics topped the whole thing off with great aplomb!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

thetworegs

Loving the stereo effect on the intro and throughout perfect vocal for it ...i love it.... it has something about it that gives me the feeling of Kate bush or something she would come up with but she didn't and you did so well done

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Ray Brookes

No sense in trying to categorise this wonderful track - it is too unique and in a category of its own. The production is astoundingly good and the whole concept of the song is just great. The use of the orchestral instruments works so well, Paul and Nick's vocal is perfect for this. 
Ray Brookes

StephenM

this time I am reading the lyrics... PROFOUND and so well describing the human condition at the latter stage of life, so to speak.  Yet, you do it with such grace... such dignity.
the music fits this perfect.  Stunning work.... wonderful work... I feel so priveleged to be able to hear this... wow.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

Johnbee

Man, Pipes has a great voice!  Very unique.  As far as the song I'm loving everything I'm hearing.  That beat is infectious.

:) John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!