Ramblin' Keys 2 ( reworked )

Started by funkyaxe, February 29, 2024, 02:54:21 PM

funkyaxe

Rambling keys 2 ( reworked )
Time:
0:00
Volume:
A partly improvised piano tinkling. I've reworked this somewhat - removed the reverb and generally tidied up the sound. It's still a little hot here and there but as it was partly improvised I wouldn't be able to create the feel again.

Ted

Quote from: funkyaxe on February 29, 2024, 02:54:21 PMIt's still a little hot here and there but as it was partly improvised I wouldn't be able to create the feel again.

Kudos for knowing what gets lost when we have all these powerful recording tools at our hands – and we can redo, and punch, and tweak individual notes in MIDI. Yes, I heard a little clipping. But if you hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't have been listening for it.

This is beautiful, with some surprising changes and flourishes. Sounds great in headphones.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

funkyaxe

Thanks for listening Ted. This was actually played live in one take. I dont use MIDI with any of my recordings ( I wouldnt know how ). The original recording had reverb added and had made it sound very muddy so I removed it and adjusted the tone to try and improve the distortion. Thanks again for listening. :)

Ted

Quote from: funkyaxe on March 01, 2024, 02:59:33 AMThis was actually played live in one take.

I understood that. I meant to express that recordings like this used to be more common on Songcrafters, but many of us are becoming highly skilled at infinite tweakability, and the super polished productions they can get from their computers and gadgets. The results are amazing. I'd hate to see us become competitive in this regard; intimidated to share anything that doesn't sound impeccably recorded. I don't think we are there, but there's a slight trend line in that direction. This recording of yours should remind us that we can still put out an expressive raw performance that is imperfectly recorded.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Zoltan

Quote from: Ted on March 01, 2024, 03:16:36 AM
QuoteThis was actually played live in one take.

I understood that. I meant to express that recordings like this used to be more common on Songcrafters,

There's a cure for this. Buy cheap, old junk gear. Buy a casio. No need to worry about tweakability, or midi. There's none :D

I would have commented on the song, but for some reason it doesn't play for me. Play it again...Sam? I mean Funkyaxe :)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

StephenM

I have a idea running through my head while listening to this.

"Men will always disappoint women." 

no matter how hard we try.

nice piece sir Andy!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

StephenM

Quote from: Ted on March 01, 2024, 03:16:36 AM
Quote from: funkyaxe on March 01, 2024, 02:59:33 AMThis was actually played live in one take.

I understood that. I meant to express that recordings like this used to be more common on Songcrafters, but many of us are becoming highly skilled at infinite tweakability, and the super polished productions they can get from their computers and gadgets. The results are amazing. I'd hate to see us become competitive in this regard; intimidated to share anything that doesn't sound impeccably recorded. I don't think we are there, but there's a slight trend line in that direction. This recording of yours should remind us that we can still put out an expressive raw performance that is imperfectly recorded.

yeah I agree Ted... This site should be post away and people on here help you improve... the stuff I am doing know and using would not have been possible without this forum..
I have learned so much... and yes... we learn how to use the tools available.

as far as the keyboard being hot... yeah.. I spent alot of time recording my wife playing some years back... the digital piano is so large of transient levels from soft to peak it happens... cool to read about Andy's fixes etc... it's a nice track.  one that make s the mind drift.  a very good thing drifting.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner