Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe

Started by Zoltan, February 26, 2024, 01:05:14 PM

Zoltan

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe V4
Time:
0:00
Volume:
A time for a new little ditty. This time it's an ode to teenage years and imaginary friends.

Eeny, meeny, miny, Moe

Eeny, meeny, miny, Moe
I'm a dirty Ho
I don't even know
what i'm doing here
And i hate all the sunshine
Burning my eyes
And i hate all the girls
Always telling me lies

Everytime i'm in the bathtub
I talk with my friend Moe
Everytime i'm in the bathtub
I have no fear

CH:
I don't care if it's borderline satanic
At least you are here
I don't care if it takes me to places
I don't wanna go near

I don't care if it's borderline satanic
Unless that it's boring
I don't care if it takes me to places
I don't wanna go near

It's all going sideways
When you're not here
etc. etc.

Gear used: Jaguar and Yamaha VSS-30. There are no backwards messages (i forgot to add them!), but the synth sounds are my voice played backwards.

The bass features prominently in the mix so Ted can enjoy the tapewounds strings in all their glory!

eenymeeny.jpg

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

StephenM

menacing... vicious but not apparent at first... raw...
dirty.. raunchy...
reminds me of an old band in the 70's called "Starz"... not so much musically although not that far apart... more from the lyrical content.

I dig the vocals, guitars and that rock solid pulsing rhythm... actually feels a bit like the Cars beats.  very cool
keyboard sounds good.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Ted

Quote from: Zoltan on February 26, 2024, 01:05:14 PMThe bass features prominently in the mix so Ted can enjoy the tapewounds strings in all their glory!

Bass sounds great, actually. Played with a pick?

I misheard a lyric. I thought I heard: And i ate all the sunshine

I'm just going to stick with that.

Ferryman would love this. He and are both big fans of Magazine. (I know. I know. I'll shut up about Magazine. Eventually.) The change into the chorus with the huge 80's synth strings change slathered in reverb – it's very Dave Formula.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Zoltan

Quote from: Ted on February 27, 2024, 01:53:19 AMBass sounds great, actually. Played with a pick?

I misheard a lyric. I thought I heard: And i ate all the sunshine

I often hear different lyrics while listening to songs too. And usually they're better for it :)

I should have used "I'm turning into vampire" line in this...

And yes i used a pick.

Here's another mix that i spent a lot of time with. Weirdly enough it doesn't sound that different especially considering the amount of time spent.

The main changes are:
- the drums are now in stereo
- the drums are slightly more complex (more fills)
- the drums use more velocities and are played harder in the transitions and choruses
- eq tweaks to most of the tracks
- the vocals now have all the takes (3) buried underneath. There's a touch of delay added to these and the last line in the last chorus has a backwards delay (barely audible).
- the main vocs are still dryish and mono

It's crazy how good "synth strings" can be done with a vocal sampled into a toy keyboard. And there's hardly any second guessing. And no need to revisit the old sounds. It doesn't save anything :D Turn the machine off and BUFF it's gone.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Ted

Quote from: Zoltan on February 27, 2024, 04:10:52 AMHere's another mix that i spent a lot of time with. Weirdly enough it doesn't sound that different especially considering the amount of time spent.

Oh no! This mix is amazing. The first mix was a strong demo, but you can stick a fork in this one.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Farrell Jackson

The first mix was ok but the 2nd is much sharper and crisper (you're now a crispy critter). I like the bass in both mixes even if they are different. Great vocals and the Jaguar sounds great. This is a good song!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Ted

You should replace the version at the top of the topic with the second mix. That way it will be the version in playlists/jukeboxes (and in the unofficial podcast).
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ray Brookes

I agree, the 2nd mix is preferable. In fact the production is first class Mr. Z Those synths sound great along with the raunchy guitars and that 'snarling' vocal works perfectly.
Ray Brookes

Zoltan

Thanks for all the kind commments! I changed the file for the player.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Ted

Quote from: Zoltan on February 27, 2024, 01:13:16 PMI changed the file for the player.

If the new mix isn't showing up in the jukeboxes, send a quick note Cuthbert or 64Guitars to get it sorted out.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac