Photo: Me (age 17) with my fake Beatle bass

Started by Ted, February 19, 2024, 07:37:04 AM

Ted

The recent recovery of Paul McCartney's stolen Hofner violin bass has got me thinking about my first bass, which was a copy of a Hofner. This is me, age 17. It's the only photo I have of the bass. I didn't think there were any photos of the bass, but my old bandmate from high school found this. It's a pretty great photo: Coors beer can. My old Peavey amp. A pink Sex Pistols pin on my shirt. A little acne.

Ted w Beatle Bass-609×480px.jpg

I bought it because it was cheap: $115. Around 1982 I lent it to a guitarist in Phoenix named Woody. I had already upgraded to a new bass, so I wasn't in a hurry to get my fake Hofner back. Woody disappeared into the woodwork, and I never saw the bass again.

There's a reference to this bass in my song "First and Last (Abridged)."
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Farrell Jackson

A cool photo of 17 year old Ted and his fake Beatle bass!!!!! I wish I had more photos of my early Rock 'n Roll days. The bass looks great and so do you!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Jean Pierre

hell of a photo: hell of a memory....I also had a TRUE Hofner violin bass in the 65s and 66s, exactly the same as the Mc Cartney.

This bass wasn't mine...a friend lent it to me...I should never have given it back to him grrr I'm furious
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

Ray Brookes

Ray Brookes

Zoltan

Great picture and it really tells more than thousand(s) words.

You look a lot like Jim Morrison in that pic. Playing an open E and having the time of his life. Trying to break on through the parents front door.

Edit: Almost forgot. I talked with my wife yesterday about Hohner and Höfner (bass) and while doing so i opened Songcrafters and saw this.
Which must mean that Ted is spying on me! Get away from my phone. I thought only Chinese were spying on me...

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Mike_S

It is a super photo. It's great to have pics of ourselves from so long ago showing us in our element. Looks like you couldn't be happier.  !@005  !@005  !@004  !@004

Quote from: Zoltan on February 20, 2024, 05:14:45 AMEdit: I talked with my wife yesterday about Hohner and Höfner (bass)

If I talked to my wife about this subject I would be met with a cold blank stare! :)
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Zoltan

Quote from: Mike_S on February 20, 2024, 10:47:54 AMIf I talked to my wife about this subject I would be met with a cold blank stare!

My success was about the same! And later today i talked to her about that Hohner (and later Yamaha) thing i mentioned and was met with a cold blank stare. She didn't really remember that i had said anything :D

Kinda same like talking to a stool :) (No pun intended)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Ted

Quote from: Zoltan on February 20, 2024, 11:21:11 AM
Quote from: Mike_S on February 20, 2024, 10:47:54 AMIf I talked to my wife about this subject I would be met with a cold blank stare!

My success was about the same!

Before showing my wife this photo, I explained the whole McCartney lost bass thing, how I had owned a copy, etc. When she saw the photo she said, "You still sit like that."
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Geir

Quote from: Ted on February 20, 2024, 10:27:10 PM
Quote from: Zoltan on February 20, 2024, 11:21:11 AM

My success was about the same!

Before showing my wife this photo, I explained the whole McCartney lost bass thing, how I had owned a copy, etc. When she saw the photo she said, "You still sit like that."
;D  ;D that sounds exactly like something my wife would say too

Great picture Ted!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

cuthbert

Rocking pic, Ted! At 17, I had the acne but none of the ace gear...
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase