Early Days of Rock 'n Roll (feat. Rob Grant bass)

Started by Farrell Jackson, February 18, 2024, 02:57:46 PM

Farrell Jackson

LANDR-Early Days of RnR final Aud RG Bass-Balanced-Medium-192 REV_V1
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I've been working on this song off and on for about a month. Rob Grant graciously added the bass and a fine job he did! I did the rest. This is my first  outing with the new Gretsch Semi hollow body guitar into a Crate V-5 tube amp (growl rhythm and riffs). My pedal chain for the Gretsch growl rhythm = Akai Compressor>MXR Prime Dist.>Boss Baseman pedal>T.C. Elect. Mimic Doubler>ISP Noise Reducer>amp. The lead guitar work is on my Ernie Ball OLP guitar into a SansAmp pedal direct (choppy rhythm, fills and solo). I used a Neumann TLM 103 mic for all the vocal tracks. The drums are off a Zoom machine. All 15 tracks recorded on my Fostex VF-160 machine.

Credits:
Rob Grant - bass.
Farrell Jackson - Vocals and guitars.
Early Days of Rock N' Roll (Farrell Jackson © 01-27-24)
(V1) We had some wild times at The Stage Door
We partied hardy, then partied some more.
All the bands made lots of noise
To crazy girls and the wild boys.
Browsing all the music shops
Trying to learn some brand new chops.
(PreChr) Early days of rock n roll
Life was good, life was gold, what a time to behold.
(V2) Strappin' on a cool guitar. Just the look would take you far.
Fun people and real fans. They came out to support the bands.
Loud guitars for all the rockers
Mini skirts and the Bobby Soxsers.
A great time to be alive. It's a wonder that we survived.
(PreChr) Early days of rock n roll.
Life was good, life was gold, what a time to behold.
(Chr) Step into the way back machine
With black boots, side burns and blue jeans
Not a single worry or worldly care
As long as you had your long wavy hair....
(Solo break)
(V3) We had some wild times at The Stage Door.
We partied hardy, then partied some more
All the bands made lots of noise. To crazy girls and the wild boys.
Browsing all the music shops. Trying to learn some brand new chops.
(PreChr) (Repeat Chr 2xs)
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Zoltan

Ooh! This is such a wild and satisfying ride.
There's a kind of a Deep Purple vibe to the song. Space Trucking as re-imagined by cool guys from California.
You're really making the guitars growl and i like the fact that you're putting that Sansamp into a good use too. The guitar(s) and gear serve you well.

Great arrangement and use of contrasting musical styles.

Farrell does vocals so good!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Mike_S

Quote from: Zoltan on February 18, 2024, 03:19:25 PMOoh! This is such a wild and satisfying ride.
There's a kind of a Deep Purple vibe to the song. Space Trucking as re-imagined by cool guys from California.

Oh, there is a great comparison... there is a bit of that early DP groove in there. Really doesn't get much cooler that that. Loving the spirit behind this and the lyrics are great. Rob knocked the doors off with that striking bassline. Super riffage in general Farrell and top vocals. Excellent guys.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

StephenM

So yes, I think you did conjure up some Space Trucking Woman From Tokyo.  However i am going to throw another monkey wrench into this killer track explanation... this also has a bit of feel from Dire Straits, "Money For Nothing" and the lead goes more Bad Company... all in all this rocks the roll...rolls the rocks..

you make some awesome story tracks Farrell... this is really fun

and smokin

I love Robs work.  those higher octave bass runs around 1:20 were especially nice.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Trist

Really like the rock rhythm to this, has a unique sound as well like of grungy 70's rock . cool lyrics and vocals, always good to hear your music

Ron D Bowes

Agree there is a DP vibe to this. Heavier than your usual outings. I like it cuz. Nice guitar flourishes and solo. Super rock!

Ted

Quote from: Farrell Jackson on February 18, 2024, 02:57:46 PMMy pedal chain for the Gretsch growl rhythm = Akai Compressor>MXR Prime Dist.>Boss Baseman pedal>T.C. Elect. Mimic Doubler>ISP Noise Reducer>amp.

I don't quite believe you. You're hiding some secret ingredient. Okay. Fine. You want to keep secrets. Drop the subject.

>:(

No! I can't let it go. An octave effect? Some kind of cocked wah? Or a clever EQ pedal setting?

If I could get that kind of sound, you'd never stop hearing it!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: Ted on February 21, 2024, 01:28:05 AM
Quote from: Farrell Jackson on February 18, 2024, 02:57:46 PMMy pedal chain for the Gretsch growl rhythm = Akai Compressor>MXR Prime Dist.>Boss Baseman pedal>T.C. Elect. Mimic Doubler>ISP Noise Reducer>amp.

No! I can't let it go. An octave effect? Some kind of cocked wah? Or a clever EQ pedal setting?

If I could get that kind of sound, you'd never stop hearing it!

:D If there is a secret ingredient, it was the Gretsch G2627T Streamliner guitar. I had all three pickups engaged with the tones and volumes adjusted to bring out growl. I also used the Bigsby whammy throughout for  some vibrato on ending notes. I'm sure it will make appearances in future songs.
Thanks Ted!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Ray Brookes

WOW what a great rocker and definitely in the DP vein. Fantastic guitar sound, Farrell - love that soloing and excellent vocal work. Cool lyrics too along with stellar production technique.
Ray Brookes

Johnbee

Guitar sound reminds me of Mark Knopfler. Great lyrical imagery and vocal work.

:) John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!