Time:
0:00
Volume:
Prevail
Written by Ted Johnson
© 1994 - 2024

Ted: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Drum Sequencing

Recorded on Boss Micro BR
Final tweaks in Audacity: Normalizing, High-Pass Filter, Noise Reduction, Trimming, Fading
© 1994 Ted Johnson

Riding through New Hampshire where they say "Live Free or Die"
I was doing both at once.

Losing hope and daylight, I made my bed
Near the ashes of a campfire.

There was no glow, though I sensed a firebrand.
Brought the fire back to life with just my breath and my bare hands.

(Chorus:)
I will prevail
Sooner or later, I will
Prevail.
For a moment it relieves me when I say,
I will prevail.
When your new life pales. When it stales,
I will prevail.
Prevail.

Driving to Colorado to have my reckoning with you,
To see the ring on your finger and to test my IQ.

To make a fool of myself or make a last stand.
To speak my heart, to waste my breath, to burn my hands

(Chorus:)
I will prevail
Whatever that means, I will
Prevail.
I wish I could believe it when I say
I will prevail.
When your new life pales and then it fails,
I will prevail.
Prevail.

This is an old song I've never recorded. I put the date at 1994, which is definitely when the song was inspired but not when it was finished. I was on an epic 3-month solo motorcycle road trip around the USA and Canada that passed through New Hampshire. I was suffering from heartbreak, and not enjoying the trip as much as the trip deserved. I vaguely recall that I was still rhyme hunting for the first verse around 1997. In between 1994 and 1997 was the trip to Colorado.

I had little hope of winning back the woman I'd lost. But I latched on to the word "prevail" – a reckless and bitter idea I picked up as a student of Political Science in the late stages of the Cold War. Certain American war hawks began talking about, not Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD), not winning, but prevailing in a nuclear war – where the USA would be marginally less utterly destroyed than the Soviets. Bad, they argued, but not as bad as everyone says it might be. So, yes, my heartbreak felt like the end of the world at the time. Prevailing was something I could cling to.

Recently I purchased a Donner Echo Square pedal. When I tried "Sweep: Delay with a sweeping filter" instantly I recognized the sound I'd been hearing in my head for 'Prevail' all these years. It reawakened my interest in recording the song.

I've been trying not to use the built-in guitar effects on my Micro BR, and build the best sound with my pedals – which is what I did here. The guitar on the left is just run through my amp simulator (Harley Benton [a.k.a. Joyo] American Sound). The guitar on the right is run through the kitchen sink: Octave, Sweep Delay, Chorus, and even a little SY-1 Organ – which all got dirtied up a little in the American Sound. I added just a little MBR vibrato to the kitchen sink guitar.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ray Brookes

This is a great track, Ted. Those guitars sound stellar, both left and right whatever FX you're using. The lyrical subject matter is very well thought out. I remember that madness of the Cold War when we all seemed to be holding our breath expecting mutual wipeout. Cool production/mixing & vocals. 
Ray Brookes

Hilary

This is very strong - I particularly like the line - I brought the fire back to life with just my breath and my bare hands.

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

StephenM

I not only was aware of the cold war... I rode aboard a boat with 16 of those bastards on it... for about 3.5 years... glad I was there to make sure it didn't happen... (as in apply certain spiritual warfare to help the trigger fingers stay subdued until the July 4th bbQ at which time they would be too stoned to think about it anymore).

all craziness aside... whatever the inspiration... this is an amazing track.. I love the guitar.

and it blends into the bass...

you kick ass... thanks for sharing your soul... btw... I think the vocals are the best thing on here and this is to me an awesome track.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Zoltan

Such a great song. You're really building the mood and the song is both lyrically and musically hugely satisfying.

I'm glad i decided to spend the last waking moments listening to SC.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Mike_S

It's a beauty you have put together here Ted. The time you spent getting the guitars to sound right really paid off. Love how you tie in the two ideas - the war and the personal story, and sing it with such conviction, belting it out. Brilliant stuff.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Farrell Jackson

This is a good song Ted, I'm glad you found the sound in your pedals to give it life! I've also been using my pedals more lately. I think you persevered and prevailed with this one...well done!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

karl1171

I got to like this more as it progressed, the chorus is a particularly good hook and pulls it all together

StephenM

the guitar sound reminds me of a sound Ferryman would come up with... really different and really good.

I think the bass player shines in the guitar!  I will take this sound any day.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Pete C

Great song Ted and you're getting some good sounds out of your pedals. I know the built-in Boss BR effects cover most bases and if I'm in a rush I still use them, but when I have time I prefer building my own sound on my pedals. That Joyo American Sound seems like a decent pedal to have !

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800