Forum Consensus on the 'Post Your Work' format...

Started by Greeny, June 30, 2009, 06:20:20 AM

SteveB

GRY - Whatever the specifics of the Forum set-up, you've identified the essence with aplomb. Well done.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: 48 on July 02, 2009, 07:45:38 AMBosko I repect your opinion so please respect mine........
I have consistently said this issue is nothing to do with me doubting my skill or value.
I know I add something to this band of miscreants..... ;D
It is all to do with the potential damage/change that could deter new recruits and also make this site become less accessable...we really could debate our respective positions for hours
Let's just agree to differ (and if we lived closer I'd buy you a beer :P)

48, I definitely do respect your opinion completely! :)

Forgive me :-[ if I implied that your fear was based any type of self-doubt.  I took what you were saying about new users entering the forum, and what you said about yourself when you first joined, and I kind of merged the two together. :-\  I know you are as confident as anyone here, as well you should be.

Now that I fully understand that your fear is not for yourself but on behalf of new members first joining the forum and possibly being put off by the wealth of talent in here (this was also echoed by AndyR, who has been able to see both sides of the coin equally well), I think that the average skill set of the musicians using an MBR in the Micro board as it currently exists is every bit as good – if not better – than the skills of anyone in any of the other BR child boards.  Therefore, it is my firm belief that a merging of all Boss recorders in the same room will not change the potential for newbies to get discouraged any more than they would as the forum is set up now.

But alas, my logic must be flawed somewhere because I cannot sway you. :'(  We shall agree to disagree. :-\  Next time I am in the UK, I will buy you 7 beers! ;D  Hope you and I are OK! :)
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Bluesberry

Greeny summarized the argument well.  What we all want is a community where there is friendship and helpful advice and participation from all members.  We have these "Fests" and "backing track guitar jam challenges" and the like which we all agree are great fun and foster a friendly/family atmosphere.  We always say these things are open to all regardless of which Boss BR machine they were posted on.  For this reason it would be nice to have all posts go into the same thread regardless of which BR machine it was done on.  Take the Backing Track challenges, what if one member used their BR-1200 to record their contributionn and posted in the bR-1200 spot.  The odds are that their post will not get noticed for quite a while (days/weeks), while all the other posts in the microBR thread will get noticed right away and recieve 10 comments in the first day.  This example does not foster the kind of comradrie that we all want.  All these posts need to go in one spot, regardless of what machine they were recorded on.  We need one spot where all the instrumentals/guitar jams go and any BR machine is welcome to post there.  Why should the microBR guys have all the fun regarding these types of challenges.  If anything this probably discourages folks with non-microBR machines from participating.

Another example was the "Neilfest".  If it wasnt for the Index, a lot of the posts would have not been noticed because they were not posted in the microBR thread, and even with the index, the posts in the microBR thread recieved much more views and listens than the other BR threads.  And now when you want to go find these posts they are spread across 6-7 threads.  We need a spot where all Covers go regardless of which BR machine they were done on if we truly want to foster the kind of forum that we all want.  The same goes for the "Blues Fest" we had a while ago.  At the time it was only a microBR site, but nowadays, how can we say all Boss BR machines welcome to participate when the non-microBR posts will hardly get noticed for days/weeks.  Once again, this probably discourages folks with non-microBR machines from participating.  For this very reason I choose to create all my Neilfest covers on my microBR, I didn't want to post my contributions in the BR-1200 spot, it felt like all the excitement of the Neilfest was over in the microBR thread and I didn't want my posts to get passed over.  Now what if I didn't have a micro in addition to my BR-1200?  I may have been much less likely to have participated in the same way.

And with Original songs, I would like to have one spot where I can go and see only original songs, this way I can check in and see the latest original songs posted to the site within the last couple of days, regardless of the Boss Br machine they were created on, all in one spot.  No chance of missing any of these impostant posts.  Original songs take a lot of effort (months sometimes) and you really stick your neck out when posting them, they leave you feeling the most exposed of any kind of post you can make on here.  We need one spot where these kind of songs go, where they will all recieve much attention and get lots of comments, and there is no chance of a few not getting noticed.  These original song posts deserve to be listened to, and the person posting desperately wants comments.  I know for me when I post an original song of mine I am shaking in my boots every time, I have no idea if it is any good until I get comments back, and then I get confidence to do another one, I crave and need that feedback to keep going I find.  Once again do we want a community that supposts all Original songs regardless of the Boss BR machine it was created on, or just the ones created on the microBR. 

I do not see how re-aligning the forums to be more inclusive to all BR machines would in any way make some folks feel insecure or drive away new members.  It simply organized the posts into functional groupings so it is easier to find what you are looking for, makes it real easy to see where to post what type of music created, does not marginalize any type of Boss BR machine and to a newby it would look like this is a very organized site that was totally dedicated to making music, posting music and giving feedback on all the Boss BR machines.  I would think.  Who would not want to jump in and start posting. 

There would still be  a spot for beginner recordings, simple stuff, silly stuff, guitar jams, song sketches, instrumentals, covers, original songs, etc.  All the stuff we enjoy posting now would still have a place here, it would just be organized so it is easier to see where to put stuff, find stuff,  and it becomes inclusive for all Boss BRmachines.

If we want a site that is inclusive to all Boss BR machines, and want to have these "fests" and "guitar jam challenges" and the like, and want these to be open to all BR machine owners equally, there is no other choice than to merge all BR machines into the same thread.  This would create a pretty big and unwieldly thread, so it would be best to break it up in a few functional groupings, along the lines of what Boscko and myself and a few others have suggested.  It is the only way to make this an all Boss BR inclusive site.  Either that or have 64Guitars create "index" lists for all our "fests" and guitar jam challanges, and the like.  Maybe create an Index of all new Original songs posted in the last week (regardless of BR machine), that would ensure that no original song gets missed, but all these indexes would be hard to manage.  It makes more sense to include all BR machines in the few functional threads like suggested here.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bosko Schwartz

www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels