Forum Consensus on the 'Post Your Work' format...

Started by Greeny, June 30, 2009, 06:20:20 AM

Greeny

There was a facility to change your vote, but I didn't enable it when I set the poll up. I've just checked, and I can't change that function now. Sorry  :)

The Reverend 48

Never Mind Tim ;)
on reflection
I would change my vote from option 3 to option 1 if I could :-[

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: 48 on July 02, 2009, 05:45:42 AMNever Mind Tim ;)
on reflection

48, I thought you were always for option 1???

Did you read my post above?  I am flabbergasted that this didn't sway you!  Kidding, of course, but I had hopes.

I still maintain that there is little to no correlation between the type of recorder used and one's musical and/or production prowess.  There are people like Greeny and AndyR who make giant, massive productions on the little silver boxes -- if you are so worried about some people feeling inferior if we merge all boards together, why aren't you worried about the EXTREMELY varying degrees of skills already present in the MBR room now?  Wouldn't Greeny and AndyR make others with Micros feel inferior NOW if what you're thinking about a possible merge is true?  And on the opposite spectrum, owning a different Boss recorder does not in any way mean you automatically have better or more skills than someone who owns a Micro!

I just don't understand your fear, 48.  You are TEACHING people how to play blues solo lead guitar, for Pete's sake!  I could NEVER be as good as you on guitar, not in a million years.  Everyone has different talents, but more importantly, we are all GROWING, and having everyone together will spur more growth and more encouragement in my opinion! ;D
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

AndyR

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on July 02, 2009, 06:38:45 AMThere are people like Greeny and AndyR who make giant, massive productions on the little silver boxes -- if you are so worried about some people feeling inferior if we merge all boards together, why aren't you worried about the EXTREMELY varying degrees of skills already present in the MBR room now?  Wouldn't Greeny and AndyR make others with Micros feel inferior NOW if what you're thinking about a possible merge is true?  And on the opposite spectrum, owning a different Boss recorder does not in any way mean you automatically have better or more skills than someone who owns a Micro!

:D
I've worded it different, but I've just posted the same idea on the other thread!! - how did we end up with two threads here!!

48 - I still feel the same as you, but I can't fault the logic. But worry not! Your vote for 3, that you want to change, cancels out my vote for 1, that I, er, want to change, and we've managed to explain quite well what needed to be said about it all, and er... there was something else, but I forgot... I need to lie down now :D (aka, "better do some work, that's what I'm getting paid for !")
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Ferryman

I posted this on the other thread, so I'll post it here as well.

I hear what Mike (48) is saying about keeping the BR baords separate. So it's balance between getting more interaction with the other BR users and making sure they don't feel left out versus having too many posts that are very sophisticated recording efforts that might put off newbies for whom the MBR is the first step into the world of recording.

On balance, I still feel it is better that we combine all the BR boards, provided (as I have suggested all along), we ensure the recordings are primarily created on a BR box. The MBR users will still significantly outnumber all other BRs, so the addition of a small number of posts from (possibly) more sophisticated types shouldn't put off the newbies.  There will still be a lot of "no more than 4 track" type MBR posts, which is where most newbies start. And the attitude of everyone on the board is so encouraging that I don't think we will get any sort of elitism.

Where I think things would change is if we allowed any recordings to be posted, BR or otherwise, in the same board. If we get a lot of posts along the lines of "I did this in Cubase, that in Reason, tweaked it in Audacity and only a little bit on the BR", that would put newbies off. I know I would lose interest as well, because I want to do everything on the MBR and push this box beyond its limits.

So I still favour combining all the BR boards given my caveat that they really are BR-based recordings, not that the BR happened to be involved in a small way in the process. We should have a section for Other Recorders/DAW Recordings.

But at the end of the day I'm still not that bothered. I love it here!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

The Reverend 48

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on July 02, 2009, 06:38:45 AM
Quote from: 48 on July 02, 2009, 05:45:42 AMNever Mind Tim ;)
on reflection

48, I thought you were always for option 1???

Did you read my post above?  I am flabbergasted that this didn't sway you!  Kidding, of course, but I had hopes.

I still maintain that there is little to no correlation between the type of recorder used and one's musical and/or production prowess.  There are people like Greeny and AndyR who make giant, massive productions on the little silver boxes -- if you are so worried about some people feeling inferior if we merge all boards together, why aren't you worried about the EXTREMELY varying degrees of skills already present in the MBR room now?  Wouldn't Greeny and AndyR make others with Micros feel inferior NOW if what you're thinking about a possible merge is true?  And on the opposite spectrum, owning a different Boss recorder does not in any way mean you automatically have better or more skills than someone who owns a Micro!

I just don't understand your fear, 48.  You are TEACHING people how to play blues solo lead guitar, for Pete's sake!  I could NEVER be as good as you on guitar, not in a million years.  Everyone has different talents, but more importantly, we are all GROWING, and having everyone together will spur more growth and more encouragement in my opinion! ;D

Bosko I repect your opinion so please respect mine........
I have consistently said this issue is nothing to do with me doubting my skill or value.
I know I add something to this band of miscreants..... ;D
It is all to do with the potential damage/change that could deter new recruits and also make this site become less accessable...we really could debate our respective positions for hours
Let's just agree to differ (and if we lived closer I'd buy you a beer :P)

Greeny

I'd hate to see any of us falling out over this, as I think we all want the same thing essentially – i.e. a happy, supportive and inspiring forum. You could say that we already have that, so why change things? But I would personally like to see the 'other model' users get some more exposure. I too struggle to listen to all of the posts, but when I do I'm greeted with some absolute gems from the likes of Bosko, Blooby and Pinedog (to name but a few).

It's inevitable that new users will feel a little bit intimidated when they first come on here – but I don't think it's down to the structure of the boards. I personally feel it's inherently intimidating just to arrive somewhere like this – a bit like a new kid at school, where it takes time to settle down and understand what's happening around you. But look at how almost everyone has thrived on here! I was very nervous when I posted my first song, but the feedback and support was so good that I had no problem posting the second. I think we're generally a very welcoming bunch, because we all realise that we too took that first big step (whilst struggling to get our heads around the technology...).

No matter how the boards are structured, there will be insecurities for people. We all have our own little insecurities and weaknesses (apart from Kody, maybe, because he's so damn good at everything, lol). There are virtuoso guitarists on here who don't want to sing, there are amazing musicians that struggle to write original compositions, and there are amazing songwriters who can't play their instruments to the standard of others. But what does it matter? We've seen outstanding collaborations where these things get balanced out, and I can't see why that will ever change. For me personally, I know I can write and sing a tune or two, but when I get to playing a guitar solo, I know that it's an amateur stab in the dark compared to a lot of guitarists on here (and think you're all secretly laughing / wincing when you hear it). Now, I could have shied away from playing solos, but I figured I'd listen to what the rest of you do, and go for self-improvement instead. And I'm ten times the lead player I used to be. Still crap, just not as crap as before, lol. Not many of us are the complete package (such as, say, Prive, Hooper, Kody, Bosko, Geir and AndyR to name but a few), so for everyone, there is something bigger to strive for. I only have to listen to what Bluesberry and 48 are doing now to know how far people can come. I've heard them go from very good guitarists to confident, super-guitarists with a whole bag of tricks up their sleeves. Then there's Oskilio... can anyone have imagined where those guys would end up in the space of a few months. It's breathtaking! Then there's my mate oldrottenhead who everyone knows as a great songwriting vocalist, but he's now adding some guitar to a Jemima's Kite track. More progress! And then there's the wonderful Flash Harry who has played on around 50 of my songs and JK tracks to the point I just know that he'll get it right – every time. Now – that to me is what the forum is all about: listening, being inspired, and getting better. And as someone else pointed out, the fact that 48 is teaching others now is a huge accolade to him and the forum.

Sorry – this is a long post!!!!

Being on this forum and owning a BR has changed my life. That's not being dramatic, that's an absolute fact...

AndyR

I'll say it here too :D

That's a great post Greeny :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

StevieM

I've been watching this one, but kept out of it 'cos I can see good and bad points however it's set up, and couldn't even work out what I'd really want to say.

Tim, you've said it all!!!!! Brilliant post!!

About all I can add is that the MBR ( and this forum) has meant that for the first time EVER there's a point to my playing ( and maybe putting the few odd words down).
It's great place to be.
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Greeny

I think we need a group photo...  :D :D :D :D

Smile for the camera!