Forum Consensus on the 'Post Your Work' format...

Started by Greeny, June 30, 2009, 06:20:20 AM

Greeny

Not official... just a way to get a feel of general opinion...  :)

guitarron

option 3 does make good sense-don't see need to separate instrumentals

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

SdC

I voted for option with 3 catagories. I would actually prefer if covers and originals were combined as well, but this would work fine too. But the separation of all BR's must go; I feel very strongly about this

recorder
Boss BR-600

Bluesberry

QuotePost Your Work' becomes THREE categories: 1. Originals, 2. Covers, and 3. Collaborations.  As option 3, but with an extra split for instrumentals

I like the idea of calling Originals all those songs with lyrics and vocals.  By having originals with original lyrics all by itself would create a thread that would have much interest by everyone, and it may encourage folks who haven't written a song with lyrics and put down lyrics on a song to give it a go, it may encourage songwriting in folks that would not have tried it before, that is a very great thing, it also may encourage someone singing for the first time, to pleasant surprise.

That leaves a thread for all the instrumentals, backing track lead-over challenges, works-in-progress without lyrics yet, Blooby style free-form jams, etc.  Instrumentals would be a large and popular thread on its own.  This way when we get into one of our backing track lead over challenges, all the recent posts will be at the top of the instrumental thread where we can all find them and they wont get lost quickly.  As someone who loves instrumentals and these backing track lead overs, I like the idea of a separate thread for instrumentals.  Instrumentals are a different beast than original songs with lyrics.  This way we have a home for each type of thing.  IMO having instrumentals as a unique thread does not alienate instrumentals, just the opposite, it celebrates them and makes it easier to find the latest instrumentals.

And it is the same with Covers.  We all love good covers, look at Neilfest for example.  It would be nice to have all covers in one spot, the woodstock fest coming up for example, all posts will be in the covers spot, real easy to find the latest covers.  Again, having covers in one spot does not alienate covers and downplay them, just the opposite, it makes it easier to find the latest covers, it celebrates them.

I voted for :
1. Originals (this would be original songs with lyrics)
2. Instrumentals (original instrumentals, backing track lead-over challenges, works-in-progress without lyrics yet, Blooby style free-form jams, etc. )
3. Covers (all the Neilfest and Woodstock-fest posts for example fit in here)
4. Collaborations (unfinished songs looking for colaboration, when the song is finished it gets posted in the appropriate section above, 1., 2., or 3.)

The way I see it this would organize all the types of music, making it easier to find what you are looking for, and it would not alienate any kind of music but celebrate each type for its own unique characteristics.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

launched

I picked option 3 because the fourth option is clearly some form of alienation. Nobody seems to want that - and many instrumentals are a good candidate for a collab anyway. The noodles and snippets could be posted anywhere, I guess.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

launched

Quote from: Bluesberry on June 30, 2009, 06:33:30 AMI like the idea of calling Originals all those songs with lyrics and vocals.  By having originals with original lyrics all by itself would create a thread that would have much interest by everyone, and it may encourage folks who haven't written a song with lyrics and put down lyrics on a song to give it a go, it may encourage songwriting in folks that would not have tried it before, that is a very great thing, it also may encourage someone singing for the first time, to pleasant surprise.  

This is a great point, and I guarantee people like you, Greeny, AndyR, Bosko, etc. have inspired people to write their own songs (Me for one).

Knowing where the complete songs are is a big thing.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

guitarron

not all instrumentals are backers or unfinished originals- i write things without any intention of lyrics from time to time
i like the idea of having a backers category though

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

OsCKilO

I picked option three.....

When I first started on this forum I was really scared of singing......
And it was nice having it all in one place for everyone to comment on so I could get the tips of the trade!

I love you Guys!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Bosko Schwartz

Thanks for starting the poll, Greeny!  I am glad to see I am not in the minority here! ;D

Quote from: Bluesberry on June 30, 2009, 06:33:30 AMThat leaves a thread for all the instrumentals, backing track lead-over challenges, works-in-progress without lyrics yet, Blooby style free-form jams, etc.  Instrumentals would be a large and popular thread on its own.  This way when we get into one of our backing track lead over challenges, all the recent posts will be at the top of the instrumental thread where we can all find them and they wont get lost quickly.  As someone who loves instrumentals and these backing track lead overs, I like the idea of a separate thread for instrumentals.  Instrumentals are a different beast than original songs with lyrics.  This way we have a home for each type of thing.  IMO having instrumentals as a unique thread does not alienate instrumentals, just the opposite, it celebrates them and makes it easier to find the latest instrumentals.

BB, I am in 100% agreement with you on Covers.  Originals and Covers are such completely different animals!

On Instrumentals, I have to agree with what guitarron said about the fact that not all instrumentals are backing tracks and not all are intended to one day have lyrics.  I think original instrumentals that are meant to stay as instrumentals should just be in the Originals board; I don't see any reason to segregate them just because they don't include singing.  If someone posts an original instrumental and asks for help with lyrics or vocals, it should be placed in the Collaborations board; if they post it as a "work in progress," in which they will one day add vocals themselves, it should still go in the Originals board.  I guess we could have a separate board for backers for the lead over challenges you referenced, but I don't see why we couldn't just post those in the Collab section.

Just my opinion, but this is why we are voting! ;D

PS: We love you too, Tharek and Osckilo! ;D
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Kody

With option 3~ Good songs are going to get burried within a day or two, right?...I like the way it is now...esp for beginners to the forum...It's a simple layout that allows a beginners to see what their new machine is capable of easily w/o having to search through a bunch of old posts....
recorder
PreSonus Studio One