My Home Town

Started by SteveB, June 30, 2009, 05:21:59 AM

Greeny

Bob Dylan WISHES he could sing like this, lol. This is a very nicely put together song. I think your guitar and vox more than stand up. You should be more confident (easier said than done, I know). It sounds like you're finding your feet on here!!! Great job.

Bosko Schwartz

My 2nd SteveB song and first with vocals!  On my 3rd listen now ...

And now I am even more impressed!  The music is sweet and soulful; I'm especially digging the melodic rhythm guitar.  I love how British people seem to embrace American music like blues, R&B -- or in this case -- alt-country.  It's so ironic to me because most of my favorite music is English guys trying to do their best impressions of American R&B and blues.  So when I make music, I want it to sound like the English music that is trying to sound like American music.  The irony is almost ridiculous when you think about it, but it's a constant cycle and seems to make the world go 'round.

Would love some bass guitar in this one!

Quote from: SteveB on June 30, 2009, 03:47:09 PMHowever, even Frank Sinatra couldn't convince me that I can hold a tune.

I don't mean to call you a liar, but I don't believe you would post this if you truly thought your voice sounded like shit.  You even double-tracked it -- who bothers to do that if they think they suck?  Then again, I used to think that about my voice, and then grew to accept it, with help from comments from this forum and myspace.  So perhaps you really do believe that, but you shouldn't.  Your voice is awesome.  It's in key, it's smooth, and it's extremely unique.  Almost a higher-pitch Elliot Smith vibe to it, and if anyone knows me, they know that any comparison to Elliot Smith is a HUGE compliment.

Well done again! :)
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Bluesberry

Hey Steve, finally got around to this one.  This is laid-back, wow, really great groove going on.  You work your voice well, as Boscko says, its in key, that is a big deal right off the bat, and it has loads of character, second major point going for you.  It sounds like you were laying down when you did this (and I mean that in a good way).  I like it.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

SteveB

Well Guys, I thank you for the comments, and I can now genuinely blame you lot when the World admonishes me for inflicting more of my singing on it! I've just never been able to find two friends with decent singing voices (Whom I could get drunk enough), to have a go at this one. So in the end I said: Oh b*ll*cks** to it! I'll have a go myself, at least someone will have some idea at what I could hear in my head.
** = British word of contempt.

There actually is a Bass guitar on the track. The first note is a 'dive-bombed' Bass guitar, but either I left it too low in the mix, or it hasn't transferred well into MP3.

Thanks, All.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Frank53

Nice song, Steve. I concur with the assembled masses, nothing wrong with your voice. Just have to sing with confidence. Sounds good to me. The vocal arrangement is effective, indeed. And I agree, the bass has to come up a bit (but I do have lousy computer speakers). Nice work!

Frank
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Nick*

Nice song.  I like the lyrics.  Nothing wrong with your voice.  Recording-wise, I may have took an extra step back from the mic though.  Sounds like you may have been right up against it...I could be wrong though.

SteveB

Quote from: Nick* on July 19, 2009, 10:12:15 PMRecording-wise, I may have took an extra step back from the mic though.  Sounds like you may have been right up against it...

NCK - Thanks for the comments. If I'd have had my way, I'd have been in a different room altogether from the Vocal mike!!  ;D
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Nick*

Quote from: SteveB on July 20, 2009, 02:37:42 AM
Quote from: Nick* on July 19, 2009, 10:12:15 PMRecording-wise, I may have took an extra step back from the mic though.  Sounds like you may have been right up against it...

NCK - Thanks for the comments. If I'd have had my way, I'd have been in a different room altogether from the Vocal mike!!  ;D

Here is a little piece of info - no one likes their own voice.  I may not know much about singing or songwriting, but that I know for sure.  We are our own worst critics.  I think your voice sounded good actually.  I like the uniqueness of a voice.

launched

The 900 section is getting crowded - I only get down here a few times a week. I'll have to be more frequent with you, Diego and Frank here.

Loved the vibe to this arrangement. I was at a friend's the other day and heard a soundtrack album that sounded a lot like this - will have to get the name. You have a great sound going on here. The Strat licks are cleverly positioned, and the vox have a mysterious sound to them - had to play it a couple times.

Hope you get your studio together so we can hear some more of your recordings.

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover