technical note about MELODYNE and vocal harmony

Started by Jean Pierre, January 28, 2024, 12:46:16 AM

Jean Pierre

EXTRACT FALSE
Time:
0:00
Volume:
technical note on the use of melodyne in the DAW and music SOFTWARE section

ATTENTION the wrong voice is not sung by Corné (who, by the way, has a very accurate voice, as you can see with Melodyne), but the voice duplicated by Melodyne BEFORE the manual corrections.

Here is the manual correction

[url="https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=195947;type=preview;file"]EXTRACT AFTER CORRECTION.mp3[/url]

I've re-mixed and mastered with the plug ins (mostly Wave) I use now, which are much better than the ones I used in...2015.

I'm still quite partial to the Melodyne plug ins, and in addition to the very precise tonal corrections, this software allows you to make vocal harmonies in thirds, fifths, even sixths or unisons, with the important advantage over other tools such as pitch shifters of not distorting the voice (preserving the formants, i.e. the timbre of the voice). Of course, this still requires a great deal of note-by-note retouching to stay within the scales or modes used in the song, otherwise you end up with something completely crazy (isn't that right, Corné ;D?).

If you've listened to Corné's version (the second one), you'll be able to judge the quality (or otherwise, depending on your opinion) of Corné's second voice enhanced with a third.

And I can't resist posting here an excerpt of the "raw" transposition before the indispensable manual touch-ups.

I sent the non-manually corrected version to Corné (without having listened to it, just the first few bars)..and he was, quite rightly, horrified by the result..and a little embarrassed to tell me ;D

So, in conclusion, Melodyne is not a miracle tool for creating vocal harmonies
a voice dubbed by the singer himself will always be better (if the singer is good and masters harmonies)
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo