Afterglow

Started by Mike_S, January 23, 2024, 02:17:19 AM

Mike_S

Afterglow
Time:
0:00
Volume:
So I basically disappeared down a rabbit hole with this one for a long time. Probably the longest I have ever worked on a song. I'd say 2 weeks in total.

Many issues along the way. Parts were difficult and I had to practice to play smoothly. After about a week or more playing on the Harley LP, i switched to the trusty Strat and it suddenly flowed better. I did the trickiest rhythm part in almost the 1st take.

Won't be spending this long again, but here it is...

1 acoustic rhythm guitar simple strumming
1 strat rhythm guitar
1 strat lead guitar background part and solo
HB Bass
GB drums and keys
vocals

It's been a long time but it's hard to let it go
Some of those days were the best that I have known
You and me just staring at the fire
Well hey man where did the time all go?

Looking back now, back through all that time
Thinking of that day and night when you were mine
But sometime later you were on your way
The stars well they just, just would not align

Up in the sky the stars they're all shining
But everyday another one is dying
That I know

Years later still it seems to matter
And in your dreams you're still looking at her
You carry it with you in the afterglow

—————

Solo

—————

Well I sometimes believe that even when we die
A little bit of everybody stays alive
And we could meet again in the next  place
And maybe it could work out if we try

That I know

You carry it with in the afterglow

You're taking it with you in the afterglow

You carry it with in the afterglow
recorder
iPad GarageBand

StephenM

Mike,
the thing about working on something this long is it really can become a part of you and this is!  I really absolutely love the backing vocals.  Lately backing vocals have been my thing that really sets songs apart.  Your singing is good as usual!  I love  your voice as you know.  However your use of the extras are really good... I especially love that ending.

The guitars are very typical  you, the strumming methods etc but it still feels a bit different too... there seems like a lot of nuggets in the notes (listen to 1:45 to 2:15 for example).

it's a winner from the heart.  lyrics are something we all can relate to as well.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Pete C

Wonderful stuff Mike and well worth 2 weeks work. Like an old familiar song I'd not heard in a while. Excellent vocal and backing vocals and lovely guitars. Great listen !

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

TPB

It may have taken two weeks but this a gem and the extra works really shines through digging your vocal on this song
Well done brother
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Farrell Jackson

The two weeks you took on this song has produced excellent results, Mike! This is my new favorite of yours. Your singing is so relaxed, in tune and in time. It flows perfectly and is so in sync with your distinct rhythm guitars and solo. A top shelf song Mike!     
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Zoltan

You really have your own sound going. And it's great! Not only the great vocal sound, but it's also the drums, guitars, songwriting... everything.

I think the time spent with the song has paid off well, but you're doing great with the faster productions too. So it's mostly about the song, the process and how things go rather than doing it fast, or slow.

Hearing your songs back to back shows the consistency of your songwriting and production.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Ray Brookes

I think this is one of the best songs I have heard of yours, Mike. Everything perfectly placed in the mix and a superb vocal along with those great jangling guitars. Cool lyrics too BTW and those two weeks have certainly paid off with this one. Great work; well done.
Ray Brookes

SE

Yes this is cool Mike, great vibe with great lyrics and melody.
Think you,ve spent your time well and produced a terrific story and song!
recorder
Boss BR-80

maxit

well, that's a great song to me. short working time, if you consider this lol. really great. the same continuum and mesmerizing effect of the guitars and bass intertwined shows that 'it won't go away'. you'd better get used to it lol. great song!
recorder
Audacity

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

Another great song Mike. All the time you put into your songs really pays off.
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.