Once Upon A Time in A West, Dire Straits cover JP

Started by Jean Pierre, January 09, 2024, 01:34:44 AM

Jean Pierre

Once upon a time in a west render mp3
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Once Upon a Time in the West is a song by the British band Dire Straits. It appeared on the album Communiqué in 1979.
I couldn't remember this Mark Knopfler song at all.

I heard it again by chance in its live version in Cordoba in 2019 and I liked the introduction with the wisthle
I've always loved Mark Knopfler's sound and playing ...and I still remember the day (I was in the car) I heard Sultan of swing for the first time! the sound and the guitar playing were really amazing...I stopped at the side of the road to better listen to the end of the song!

technical note

I had a lot of trouble setting up this piece, as I didn't have the score and didn't understand why my drum beat was regularly falling off-beat!...in fact I then understood that there was an alternation of bars in 4/4 and 3.4, which caused the drum beat to fall off-beat at 3/4 !.
so I abandoned my own backtracking with BIAB to use a backtrack found on YT
..and of course I added my own guitar, vocal and wisthle tracks.

good listeninge, and happy new year guys and gal !
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

Pete C

Great listen, enjoyed hearing this a lot ! Lovely vocals and your guitar playing is very Knopfleresque.

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

StephenM

ça m'épate bien... oh... comme si tu avais pris Dire Straits et l'avais fait comme Pink Floyd... une idée géniale... c'est vraiment génial JP.

criez à la basse.

this is blowing my mind good... oh... like you took Dire Straits and made it like Pink Floyd.... killer idea... this is really great JP.

shout out to the bass.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Jean Pierre

thanks guys
Quoteyour guitar playing is very Knopfleresque.
;)  my guitar is "cameleon" and I try to take the colors of all the guitarists I love ..and it goes from Narciso Yepes to Hendrix... ;D

Quotelike you took Dire Straits and made it like Pink Floyd
...De Narciso Yepes à Hendrx, en passant par Gilmour  ;)

and for those who have trouble understanding my English, here's the subtitled version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=992L_TIjxo0

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

the physics teacher

I love the total package JP I did not know this song untill you came along :)
I do have an elektic bass and guitar, i do have an acoustic guitar. I even have a keyboard and a Roland drum set What I seem to miss is skills. So to cure my at least 40y frustration I dicovered my instrument being my voice. So I finaly had the nerve to take singing lessons and make my voice heared thanks to Songcrafters.

Mike_S

Great stuff JP. Great guitar playing. You even got a bit of the Knopfler style in your vocal. What a cool song.

Mike

Super truc JP. Excellent jeu de guitare. Vous avez même un peu du style Knopfler dans votre voix. Quelle chanson cool.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Jean Pierre

Thanks guys

QuoteYou even got a bit of the Knopfler style in your vocal

yes, I'm a musical cameleon :D

Farrell Jackson

The whistle sounds great! Good work on the guitar and vocal as well. I don't know this song but I am familiar with Dire Straits' music. I played a couple of their tunes in my gigging days (Sultans and Walk of life). The overall sound of this cover is very good JP!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Jean Pierre

Merci Farrel,

I didn't know (or couldn't remember?) this song either, which is on the second Dire Staits album, starting on side A.
this second album was much less successful than the first
The opening track on Side B, "Lady Writer", sounds a lot like Sultan of Swing.

Note that after this second Dire Staits album, Bob Dylan invited Mark Knopfler to play lead guitar on his song "Slow Train Coming".