"Mr. Slick" Original

Started by Johnbee, December 24, 2023, 05:14:43 PM

Johnbee

Mr Slick 192
Time:
0:00
Volume:
One night last week I woke up at about 2:30 AM with this lick going through my head (ever happen to you?) Fortunately, I have a separate room for all my recording gear so I don't have to wake anybody else up. Had that been the case this would've been lost forever.  But in my still state of sleepiness I fired up my trusty music PC and keyboard and got this down.  Then all of this past week I embellished it and brought it to where it is now.  It features the tenor sax and flute I've been using most of this year from Straight Ahead Samples, some Latin percussion and the usual EZ Keys, EZ Drummer,Trilian bass and a bit of Vocalsynth.  I wasn't going to do a 13th song for the year because I don't like that number but I couldn't wait to see where this would take me.  So, as this is Christmas Eve, consider this my present to all of the good folks who like my music here (I know Steven M and Zoltan will love it) and I hope you all enjoy it.

Merry Christmas to ALL!

:) John B

"Oh, yeah!"

"So fine"

"Play it ALL again"

"POW!"

Keep on tryin'.  No denyin' it's the best for you
Don't stop groovin'.  Let's get movin' onto something new
It cannot be wrong.  You could sing along.
Stop your cryin'.  Just keep on flyin'
It's the best for you.

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

Jarle

Thank you for this present. Really nice and groovy.
recorder
Boss BR-800

kenny mac

This is nice John ,that bass comes  in and brings it all to life.
Lovely bass work by the way ,very busy.
That sax is excellent too.
I've said this before in previous comments ,im not a lover of jazz but I can appreciate the musicallity that goes into it and
this is ace.
Well done.

Geir

Oh this is just fabulous.

Apart from the groovy riff this has so many wonderful elements.

I love the flute. It sounds very real. And I love how melodic the song stays through all the jazzy chord changes.

This has a slight early 70s Zappa vibe which is right up in my wheelhouse
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Farrell Jackson

I dig this John! The percussions gives it a Latin Jazz vibe. At times it reminds me of the band "War's" style, such as the song Low Rider but definitely not a copy. The riff you dreamed up is very cool and I'm glad to got up to capture it.  Mr. Slick is a slick production and it's all done so professionally!!!! 
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Ray Brookes

Cool jazzy  track, John. Lots of funky syncopation and multi-dimensional melody wise. Those bass lines are a killer and lock in nicely with the percussion.

In earlier times I thought the bass playing in your songs was actually played on a guitar and only recently I realised you used Trillion bass played off the keyboard. Nothing wrong with that of course and occasionally I use keyboard bass too, especially if some of the lines are too difficult to play on my bass guitar.

Anyhow, another great stylish piece of music and looking forward to hearing more in the new year.
Ray Brookes

StephenM

reminds of a cross between Jethro Tull and Cisco Kid (War)
even a tad Zappa...

glad you got it down... and a great and fun and busy tune... stylish and quirky.
I do love it.
I thought it was an instrumental...nope 8)  8)

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

hardlock

Dig the flute as well but the kicker is the percussions. Either kudos to the drummer or the programmer as the builds and fills are totally pro jazz material! 8)
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

Blooby

You went all Herbie Mann on us with that flute patch. Really interesting groove and performance. That low piano really propels the grease in this tune.

Cool Post.

Blooby

Johnbee

Jarle, Kenny, Geir, Farrell, Ray, Steven, Hardlock and Blooby-
Thanks all so much for listening and your comments.

:) John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!