Stereo vocals only comes out in one speaker?

Started by exhale, June 29, 2009, 01:32:25 PM

Hey guys, first post here.

So I'm having an issue with my recored vocals only coming out in my left speaker.  I've tried doing the stereo link and also without it.  Even the on-board microphone seems to be doing it too, even if while I'm recording I here it in stereo it always winds up the same.

I'm using an AKG D-5 for a microphone in the external input.

Help?

Ted

I can think of four possible causes, starting with the most basic:

• If your two tracks are stereo linked, make sure that the correct v-tracks are selected.  For example, you may have recorded the vocals to tracks 12V1, but you are instead playing back 1V1 and 2V2. (It's happened to me.)
  • If you are sure that you are playing the right v-tracks, make sure they are panned L50 and R50.
  • Make sure that there is actually sound recorded on both of the v-tracks you intended to use.  It's possible that you only recorded on one channel, even though you have a stereo mic plugged in.  When you first press the record button, press either TR1 & TR2 together or TR3 & TR4 together. (If you are recording in MP3 mode, it will automatically record in stereo if there are independent L and R signals coming from the EXT or LIN input.)
  • Something could be wrong with your microphone. (Dirty windscreen?)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Thanks Ted, good input.  I'll make sure to try that out.

I discovered the root of the issue.  I was trying to record in stereo but only using one track so naturally that track was panned one way or the other.  Since I usually just do guitar and vocals, I'll be sure to be recording in stereo with my 1/2 and 3/4 tracks linked and panned L/R accordingly.  Good to know!

Blooby

Ted, I must say that was a gosh-darn good response.

Exhale, glad things worked out.

Blooby

Ted

Quote from: Blooby on June 30, 2009, 01:04:39 PMTed, I must say that was a gosh-darn good response.

Thanks.  64Guitars need a break now and then.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac