Joni Mitchell's "Carey" has written a book. I boast that I know the guy.

Started by Ted, December 18, 2023, 02:21:06 AM

Ted

Joni Mitchell's song "Carey" has intrigued fans for more than 50 years. Hell, I've known the story for 30 years. Now there's a book by the guy behind the song – and he's at least as interesting as as Joni.

Quote from: TedJoni Mitchell's "Mean Old Daddy" Writes a Mother Lode

It's 2009 and my sister-in-law and I are educating my brother Matt about Joni Mitchell. Matt is familiar with both kinds of music: Willie and Nelson. Deanne is telling a second-hand story about Joni Mitchell – a story she and Matt had both heard told from the stage by Lucy Kaplansky who had performed Mitchell's song "Carey."

"Lucy said that Joni had this wild relationship with a guy named Carey, the guy in the song..."

I begin to interrupt, too excitedly, "Actually..." Deanne pauses and looks at me, probably annoyed. "Sorry," I say. "Tell your little story, and then I'll blow your mind."

She finishes her sentence: "...and now he's a stockbroker."

"Not exactly," I say. And I proceed to blow her mind.

Read more on my blog...

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Zoltan

That was some mighty fine writing!(* I was sitting on the edge of seat the whole time... And what happened? A cliffhanger of sorts :D

Ted, you sly devil!

(* I had already read the previous ones, but this gave me an excuse to deep dive into them once again. For those who've yet to do so i'd recommmend doing so. There's a story and a half and even some foul language to be found!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Geir

Quote from: Zoltan on December 18, 2023, 07:26:12 AMThat was some mighty fine writing!

Ditto that.  My only question is: when are we going to get to see your book Ted?
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

StephenM

interesting blog as well.. and I learned alot about you reading through all this...interesting very interesting

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner