Could Someone Please Explain?

Started by Johnbee, November 27, 2023, 09:27:03 AM

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: Johnbee on November 27, 2023, 09:27:03 AMI always get a large amount of page views but a relatively small amount of replies.

Please tell me what I need to do to become a member of the "High Reply Club".

On the other hand, you can't force people to like you better.  If it doesn't come from the heart it's no good.

:) John B

John, I asked or thought these same questions when I first joined the site several years ago. On the question about views compared to replies, I received the same answer from 64guitars, which satisfied me and I've not looked at those numbers again. On the question about how to get more song replies, I'll use a quote my wife always says "you have to be a friend to have a friend". In other words, the more replies you make, the likelihood of getting more replies in return is greater. I'm not being flip here, just realistic. This is a great site with a lot of activity compared to another site that I belong to that has about 8,000 members. I can always count on Songcrafters to be more engaging compared to the larger site even if it's just a couple of comments. That's what I appreciate about this site.

Farrell     
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Johnbee

OK.  I'll review more even though I have done several. I hope increasing my input for others increases those who review me.

I hope that works.

:) John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

bruno

This one comes up on a regular basis, and there is no single answer.
I have been quiet over the last year, there was a time that I set myself a goal of reviewing 3 songs per day, with comments. That is hard to maintain day to day and there are days when I don't have the time.

I very occasionally post these days, am not so productive, but I still try and maintain at least a 3 to 1 comment. Its a bit cold and mathematical but I feel if someone is taking time to comment on my stuff, i need to contribute to the general community.

I comment and listen when I have time irrespective of that personal rule, but I have that in my head when I post. However, we are all human and time-poor - so its difficult. However, I love Songcrafters, it has given me a real outlet for many years - and I can look back at a body of work which is part crap, part okay with some high spots for me, that I'm proud of.

Its cost me a small fortune in gear and GAS, but love it more as a result of that. Some tunes get good responses, others only get a few. That's okay, as this is a musical journey and each of us has a story of development to tell. We all get better by doing.

So what am I rambling on about? Its tough to get responses, some will love your stuff and go to you, others will simple choose the latest one in the juke box and pass your effort by. It is what it is, so try not to beat yourself up about it. I'm not sure that helps though.

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Geir

Ok I'll stick my neck out again. I've come out high and mighty on this subject in the past and fallen flat on my ass. I know sometimes I can rub folks the wrong way with this especially since I for the last several years not have lived up to what I've said in the past, but I do mean it in a good way.

What Bruno said about the cold mathematical stuff actually has a good deal of truth to it.

Imagine if everyone for each song they posted just commented on 2 others. Mathematically then on average each song would only get 2 replies!!! If everyone commented on 10 on the other hand the average would be 10. Now, everyone would not get 10 comments, but you get my point.

Then there's the human element. We tend to give back to those who gives to us. But from experience I see that people who comment on many others, and especially if they don't give a crap if they get something back!! , then those people are quite likely to get many comments! Take redler for example, he has commented regularly since he started here, regardless of if he's posted anything or not. And so, when he posts something he usually get lots of responses.

So in my humble opinion I think that regularly posting on, not only those who comment on your own posts, but on many others (especially remember the newcomers) will over time give you plenty in return.

So...... keep listening..... I mean really listen ..... and comment.

This is a wonderful corner of the web, let's keep it that way. It's after all a place where you can make friends for life. I know I have!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........