Could Someone Please Explain?

Started by Johnbee, November 27, 2023, 09:27:03 AM

Johnbee

I always get a large amount of page views but a relatively small amount of replies.

For instance "I'll Run To You" currently has 127 page views but only 10 replies (4 of the 14 are mine and I don't count those).  I also realize that out of those 127 views some are mine so taking into consideration about 10 of those are my own, that takes it down to 117.  10 did reply so that makes about 107 people who checked the song out but chose not to reply.  This seems to be a trend amongst my songs.  High page views but relatively low replies.

By contrast Ray Brookes song "Ginger Singer" has currently 14 replies but only 99 page views.  This is also a trend, not only with Ray's songs but it seems that you get more attention depending what your name is. (Stephen M, Greeny, to name a few).  And I'm knocking their music.  They all are great artists, but I think mine deserves more attention than what it gets here.
Is it because their music is better or they have more friends here, or perhaps 107 (approx) have listened to my song and deemed that it sucks?

I really would like more friends here.  What do I have to do to accomplish that?  Make better music?  Reply to more posts?   I would reply to much more if I felt as if I was better received here.

Please tell me what I need to do to become a member of the "High Reply Club".

On the other hand, you can't force people to like you better.  If it doesn't come from the heart it's no good.

:) John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

Zoltan

I have nothing worthwhile to add except that i'm in the JohnBee fanclub. I listen to your songs repeatedly. It's the same with Ray Brookes.

Actually Ray and you are similar in that way that your songwriting is the next level stuff.

One thing is for sure. It's harder to comment on songs that are high quality and continue in the artists style. I always feel i'm saying the same things with your and Rays songs. Most of the time i just listen to the music.

(Here's another example. Greeny. I listen to his songs and collabs and it takes ages before i comment... Sshh... Before someone notices :)).
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Johnbee

Quote from: Zoltan on November 27, 2023, 09:43:48 AMI have nothing worthwhile to add except that i'm in the JohnBee fanclub. I listen to your songs repeatedly. It's the same with Ray Brookes.

Actually Ray and you are similar in that way that your songwriting is the next level stuff.

One thing is for sure. It's harder to comment on songs that are high quality and continue in the artists style. I always feel i'm saying the same things with your and Rays songs. Most of the time i just listen to the music.

(Here's another example. Greeny. I listen to his songs and collabs and it takes ages before i comment... Sshh... Before someone notices :)).

I know enjoy my stuff and I appreciate it.  You are among the few that I can always count on.  I just wish there were more.

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

Zoltan

Quote from: JohnbeeI just wish there were more.

But i think there is. They just don't comment.

High page views reflect that. If your music wasn't appreciated people would just skip it.

It's harder at the top of the totem pole.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

64Guitars

Quote from: Johnbee on November 27, 2023, 09:27:03 AMI always get a large amount of page views but a relatively small amount of replies.

You're making the incorrect assumption that all of those views are by members who chose not to reply. That's simply not true. Anyone in the world can view your topic and thereby increase the view count, including web spiders and other automated software. But only members can reply. So the ratio between views and replies is meaningless.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Johnbee

Quote from: 64Guitars on November 27, 2023, 11:04:06 AM
Quote from: Johnbee on November 27, 2023, 09:27:03 AMI always get a large amount of page views but a relatively small amount of replies.

You're making the incorrect assumption that all of those views are by members who chose not to reply. That's simply not true. Anyone in the world can view your topic and thereby increase the view count, including web spiders and other automated software. But only members can reply. So the ratio between views and replies is meaningless.

Thanks for pointing that out to me.  I did consider that. Maybe I'm more popular than I think I am. I just hope it's in a good way.
 :) John B

-Duke Ellington

Mike_S

This is a hard one John. I am only popping in as have been too busy with life stuff for a couple of weeks to take part here much, but just read this.

I can only tell it from where I see Songcrafters. To be honest I always thought your songs got a decent amount of replies. I know there are artists who seem to get less I'd say. But to me this is not the point.

I think if you have a set amount of replies you are looking for on each song, I think it's just a matter of time before you get disheartened. I think the site works different ways for different people depending on a few things.

Some people are interested in collaborations more than others. I think this naturally makes their posts get slightly more attention... they become familiar faces, etc. Others prefer to go solo - nothing wrong with that - it's just their preferred way. But some people have been here a long time an do their own thing and still get a decent amount of comments, just by being reliable/a familiar face so to speak. Personally I am probably in the middle on that front. I like doing my own thing, but I realise it's a good thing to try and work with others sometimes... even if just not to feel isolated, but it's a good feeling for sure.

But for me the best thing for me is just taking an interest in the journey of others on here, listening to their songs, see how they are improving. And it's been said before but there is a lot of creative folks on here that do whatever their creativity allows, no pressure from a label or anything else, so you will hear really interesting stuff. So personally this is what I enjoy... listening to others just as much as posting my own stuff... maybe more sometimes. But I stress this is just me and it is for sure something you cannot force either. You either enjoy that or maybe not so much.

If it was me I would focus less on counting replies, as someday yes you might get disappointed. Just enjoy making music... post it up here. Listen to others. It stands to reason the more you give the more you get as well. But also remember, the site can go quiet too, sometimes a bunch of people can go quiet at the same time with life stuff, for weeks, maybe even months. I have seen many songs get only 1 or 2 replies.

And really it's a fairly small community too, you have to remember that too.

BUT, take heart... I think/I know your stuff is popular. It's great music. True deserves more attention than it gets here, but that's life - it is not a wide audience here. But the comments I read on your stuff are always very positive and pretty genuine too I think. If you can find a larger audience let us know the secret!

Mike

recorder
iPad GarageBand

TPB

Here is my thought which does not count for a lot, some of the people mentioned above comment on a lot of songs and people return the favor by listening to them and commenting back.  Do I have favorite artists on site yes only human nature. I have always found your music well played mixed and produced. But unlike days of old when there were a ton of music sites and people on them the days of getting major comment counts is no more
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Pete C

I very much agree with the comments already posted. At any time, the number of active members on the site is probably fairly low and we all have our lives outside of Songcrafters which limits the amount of time we can spend on the site. For me it takes about an hour to listen to 6 or 7 new songs and think of some comments to add. I've just been away with my wife for a few days and on returning to the site, there's well over 30 new songs that have been added and with new songs being added all the time, I just don't have the time to listen and comment to them all. I think the key to being "popular" on this site is to give comments on other members' work and they will tend to reciprocate. I know there are certain members on ths site who will usually comment on my work and I always try and comment on theirs in return.

I consider myself as being low down the popularity list but the enjoyment I get from Songcrafters is more in the fact that it gives me the incentive to record music and take some pride in what I've created even if I don't get many comments. I also enjoy listening to other members' work to learn about techniques and maybe take some inspiration from it.
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

StephenM

This site is very different than most.  The fact that it is antiquated and small makes it like a small town.  You have all sorts of folks there... but at least there is interaction here... lots of other sites that are big, they are so big you cannot keep up, so maybe migrate toward only a few connections if any.

I go out and listen to quite a bit of local music... and there is an amazing number of people playing and lots of talent out there... everybody wants to be heard... I feel like if you have found 10 actual fans of your music (which you more than have John) you have done something good...

lets face it, most of us on here are dinosaurs and our ways are mostly antiquated... but I think the music on this site day in and day out is highly creative and well produced and from the hearts and passion of the folks doing this...

it's the fact we all have a bit of unique style... this is a more polished version of open mic on here and I treat the latest jukebox like a radio station... with alot of various musics on it... I grew up listening to radio like that so this works perfect for me.

we do get frustrated and a few months ago I commented on the site being dead.... well, now there have been well over 25 songs regular up on the latest...

Peter is right, there is quite a bit of time invested in listening to 6 or 7 songs... but I do it and cherish each one.  There isn't very much come across here that I don't listen to at least a couple of times... because if I want someone to listen to my music, then I feel I should listen to theirs...
and that offers alot of rewards.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner