Sooner or Later - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, June 28, 2009, 10:28:36 AM

Bosko Schwartz

So ... my first encounter with an AndyR song.  I have heard many people talk about the genius of AndyR's songwriting and production.  I thought the tales were all just mythical ... much like sasquatch.  Kidding, of course.

Not to my surprise at all, you have impressed me quite a bit.  I am nearly speechless here, and that is pretty damned odd for me.  I have been known to babble for days about everything and nothing.  The production is superb, the song professionally written, vocals and musicianship incredible.  At this point, as much as I have heard about you, this was to be expected.

What I can't wrap my head around is how you manage to take a light and airy pop tune and merge it effortlessly with a Ronnie James Dio-esque late 70s/early 80s melodic metal song!  WTF?!?!  And I mean that in the most revered way possible.  That is a combination I have never, ever heard.  I am officially blown away.

You, sir, are a phenomenal musician and songwriter.
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Bigsky

I thought you did a great job on the production and playing, very nice. you use the BR very well.

AndyR

Thanks guys..

But, Wooo! many thanks Bosko - that's made my day bigtime :)

Someone else has said about the rock/metal thing - that's quite interesting. My early "rock" influences were Queen, and more Queen, and more... etc, and Judas Priest.

My main early musical influences were 60s and early 70s Bee Gees, Johnny Cash, also Frank, Doris & Judy. Then it was ELO and all that was in the UK charts around 1978-1980. Slade and, when I discovered him later, Marc Bolan were very influential for me as well. Also I found and really got into Jethro Tull and The Who, and The Beatles, 10-20 years after each's peak. I've done a lot of taking their stuff apart to varying degrees to see how it worked...

Now, in the late 70s, Queen themselves were an amalgamation of rock and music hall - and they kinda showed me that "all bets were off", you can do/play what you want...

I think that's roughly all the influences for this one. Except Tom Petty! nearly forgot that - I was pretending to be Tom Petty when I was writing the verses. In fact, I had problems over deciding what accent to sing with - the verses were written with a Tom Petty drawl, I tried to eradicate it but some of the words need a bit of it ("But I like her - what can ya do?")

I spose it's all kinda rubbed off and, on this one, luckily, the melting pot thing worked!

OK - sounds like I need to dust off all the songs my last band didn't want to do ten years ago!! :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Bosko Schwartz

Yes, this is the only song I've heard from you so far, but that was what I got from it.  A perfect merger between pop and very early metal -- especially when you hit those high notes!  It's totally Dio!  You didn't mention him as an influence, but Judas Priest is definitely a similar vein.  I didn't honestly hear Queen in there, but I will take another listen, as it's pretty clear from what you said that they are/were your favourite band!  I do hear the Petty-ish verses!

Very cool and not what I was expecting, which made it even cooler. :)

AndyR

I quite like the early Rainbow albums, but not the Dio fronted Sabbath - first album was good, but Dio's delivery didn't really grab me.

Yep, Queen big time... but even bigger for me was Rory Gallagher - that doesn't show up so much in my songwriting nowadays though.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: AndyR on July 02, 2009, 11:03:37 AMI quite like the early Rainbow albums, but not the Dio fronted Sabbath - first album was good, but Dio's delivery didn't really grab me.

Agreed ... Rainbow was awesome, and the only true Sabbath is with Ozzy.

OsCKilO

Finally got a chance to listen to this.

A superb tune!

It has that happy 80's vibe that I remember from my childhood!

I forgot how that felt in a tune till I listened to this, fresh take on the genre!

Bravo sir!

Peace

T(Osckilo)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Bluesberry

Hey Boscko, If you liked this one, make sure to check out If-we-should-sing-together.  Really great song by Andy.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

SE

What can I say it,s all been said before  but just had to give you a big well done and what a great tune.
recorder
Boss BR-80

AndyR

Thanks guys - much needed support at a difficult time (musically)...

- Sore throat (not too much bother, not ready to do a vocal at the moment anyway)
- Can't figure out how to approach chosen songs for woodstock fest, begining to wish I'd kept quiet about joining in :D
- A new song is potentially "amazing" but I can't figure out how to approach it, it's in danger of sounding "flat" and "lack-lustre" (I've got some ideas, but I think it involves hitting household objects to generate a rhythm part, and I'm not sure my sense of rhythm is up to it!)

It's one of those dark periods when you know what you want to do, but can't see how to do it, nor get the energy up to find out how to do it...

So, coming on here and finding continuing appreciation of past work is a real boost - many, many thanks :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1