Box of Thoughts

Started by Farrell Jackson, October 06, 2023, 01:49:32 PM

Farrell Jackson

LANDR-Box of Thoughts Aud-Balanced-Medium 192-REV_V1
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I've been working on this song off and on for about a month, which includes the songwriting. My hang up was, I couldn't decide how big I wanted to produce it. I was at a crossroads on whether to keep it just vocals and acoustic or to add keys, electric guitar, harmonica etc... So today I made the decision, and I started eliminating tracks. I went with an in-between Americana style. I hope you like it.

Credits: All me. I used my Taylor GS Mini acoustic for 2 tracks, mic'ed with a Cad condenser and using the dynamic pickup, pre-amped direct to my Fostex VF160 recorded. The acoustic lead solo is just mic'ed with the Cad. All the vocals were done with the CAD condenser. For the backing vocals, I used a combination of physical double tracking, offsetting tracks and just single tracks for a total of 6 tracks. The bass is my Squire Modified Jazz bass into a SansAmp pedal direct. The drums are Zoom. A total of 11 tracks. Mastered by FJ.

[
Box of Thoughts (Farrell Jackson© 8-28-23)
(V1) Stand up to your setbacks, and stare them in the face
They'll never go away, if you don't know how to chase
Away the negative thoughts, that float inside your head
'Cause when morning comes, they're still beneath your bed

(V2) As nights get longer, and days preoccupied 
With busy little things, left unsatisfied
Your mind is so tired, but not put to the test
By all the good ideas, kept inside your chest

(Chr) Your box of thoughts, is bursting at the seams
Testing the hinges, and stretching the lock
With grandiose ideas, inside your hazy dreams
It's time to let them out, or get a bigger box
(Instrumental bridge)
(V3) There's so much more to do, but time is running out
It's not a pretty picture, looking at a dead-end route
You spend time in the rearview, of youthful days gone by
It seems just like yesterday, when you were riding high

(Chr) Your box of thoughts, is bursting at the seams
Testing the hinges, and stretching the lock
With grandiose ideas, inside your hazy dreams
It's time to let them out, or get a bigger box
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Pete C

Think you made the right decision in how you finally produced the song...it's just right. Love the lyrics..they hit home with how I feel at the moment and have given me some encouragement, thanks !

(By the way, thanks for your comments on my recent instrumental. I used a small synth called an Arturia Microfreak)

Pete

recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

StephenM

Hi Farrell,
this really is beautiful just like this... solo FJ is really good...
excellent recording and mix...perfect really.

I really like the lyrics alot...

the guitar is wonderful and the lead floats like a leaf on a stream... flow so nice.
tasty.

I think I could stand to hear the other version as well but i understand totally what you are saying... I appreciate all the time you put in this... I find sometimes giving the song time to really speak to you makes a big difference... I am starting to take longer to do all aspects of the process now... not always but often.  I used to wonder why some long time SongCrafters post so few songs but now I understand... now that I have been doing this for a few years it has become a bit different for me...

wonderful stuff

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

thetworegs

Nice recording sounds like you're down in the cellar with me. Loving that solo love that line "it's time to let them out or get a bigger box " really hit home I'm going to open the box and let it all out

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Ron D Bowes

Sounds you picked the right road. Cool tune cuz! Nice bit of Americana. Voice just right. I like the title too. Top performance!!

Groundy

Nice one Farrell, so pro, well done.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Ray Brookes

Everything about this track is great. The instrumentation, production, vocals plus excellent lyrics. That solo on the acoustic is so cool. Fabulous work, Farrell.
Ray Brookes

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

This is a beauty of a song Farrell. You definitely made the right production choice by the sound of it.
Lovely lyrics and great vocals. The acoustic guitar sounds really good. Great playing and nicely arranged, I like the mid section.
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

Ted

Very lovely song. It could have been produced many different ways, but a strong song doesn't need much.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Mike_S

I think you made the right call too Farrell. It's a sensitive song and thoughtful too so that nice gentle treatment works great with some tasteful backing. The acoustic sparkles in the mix. Love the harmonies in the chorus - got a bit of a Boston feel there, harmony wise. Great song well worth the work.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand